Thread: cheapest way

Default cheapest way

Looking for advice. Im gonna build a 12x12 or 12x14 up taku river this summer. I just want a place to stay during the summer during the weekends so I dont need a tent to stay in while im building a larger place when i can afford. How can I make a durable affordable shack using post and pier with single layer T-111 siding and a metal roof. All material will be hauled on my 25' jet aprox 40 miles up river. Also looking for simplicity here. Can I do this with 2x4 framing cuz the snow load his huge in the winter. Would an A frame be quick and easy to put up? Just dont know where to start with this project. Im open to any suggestions. An a frame seems it would be quick and could be tall enuff for a sleeping loft to maximize space? Thanx Tom

Default "Go Lightly On The Land"

Maybe you'd do better with a yurt that you could remove in the winter?

Warm and dry, fireplaces, decks, and indoor plumbing if you want. Lightweight.

Just a thought.

A frames are the best design for huge snowloads.

I'm not crazy about yurts, but I like the idea of a wall tent as well. Don't leave it up for the winter, but build a floor and also tent frame out of 2X4s. It's comfortable, and easy. Great place to stay in the summer.

I like them better than "shacks"
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Default cheap easy

whoops I was gonna post a couple pics but could`nt get the links to work
    Last edited by anonymous1; 03-09-2008 at 09:43. Reason: wrong link

Default 12x12

Im looking to make a permanent costruction to supplement my future large cabin/chalet as either a bathhouse generator shed or a guest cabin.
    thanks for the replies.
    Tom

Go with what you said. 2x4 studs, 16" on center, OSB T1-11 walls and a steel roof. Make your roof pitch at least 8 in 12 and you won't have a huge snow load - it will periodically slide off. At 12'x12', even if the entire winter's worth of snow stays on the roof, a properly constructed 2x4 wall will hold it.

If you have bears around (and where in Alaska doesn't?) I wouldn't go with anything soft sided. Bears seem to just like tearing stuff like that up.

The expensive items are floor and roof. An A-frame is almost all floor and roof.

Thumbs up prefab

Thanks for th info. Got a plan now.

My father inlaw builds houses and were gonna prefab the walls in 4x8 sections here in the yard 4x8 so they will fit in the boat. Same with the trusses. Im gonna prepaint the exteror sheeting proir to hauling it up the river. Im thinking doing things this way will let me get a lot more done during day trips or overniters. Should look like this when im done but hopefully biggger windows and a post and pier foundation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default prefabbing

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    Thanks for th info. Got a plan now.

My father inlaw builds houses and were gonna prefab the walls in 4x8 sections here in the yard 4x8 so they will fit in the boat.
    I'm prefabbing as well.. since I have to haul in 4x8 material why not just attach the 2x4's first! Then I was going to bolt it together.....

IF you have to use 2X4's, make sure that you incorporate shear wall into your plan and fab the roof for snow load. With 12X width, what would the additional cost of going to 2X6 material cost in funds and freight? Would the added R value make up for it?