Thread: Camera suggestions for hunt

Default Camera suggestions for hunt

I am headed up to the Brooks Range this September for a hunt. I would like opinions on a camera to take.

I have a very nice 35mm setup with 500mm lense but it is bulky, fragile, and would add significant weight. I am concerned with operation (battery life) of a digital camera in the cool (cold) wet environment. Simple disposable cameras are an option but then you are limited on number of pictures and quality.

What would those who have done it before suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Don

Suggest you get a waterproof digital camera with at least 4.0 megs. Also, suggest you get a camera that takes AA size batteries. In that size you can get lithium (energizer e-2) batteries which you can keep warm in an inside pocket - under extreme cold conditions, and they last 10 time longer than most. For an excellent article that compares four different waterproof cameras, go to: www.canoekayak.com/gear/accessories/digicams/

One other suggestion - when you get the camera, practice with it and get to know it so you can take pictures without thinking about it. You also might want to take with you extra memory cards (like taking extra film).

Good Luck !

These days digitals are being used everywhere. I would recommend a digital. Get one that is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket. Carrying it in a shirt pocket should keep it warm enough. If your concerned about bettery life,get one that uses a couple AA batts and carry extra batts. If you get a model that uses a card, allowing only so many pics per card, then be sure and get an extra card or 2.
    Whatever you decide, practice with it some before you go. Learn the camera well.
    The digital will allow you to brag, with pitures, on websites such as this.
    P.S. I'm originaly a cornhusker.
    Last edited by martentrapper; 05-13-2006 at 06:36.

Default 35mm cameras

I would go with the one you already have as it will do everything you will want to do and you are already familiar with it if anything go with a smaller long lense maybe a 28 to 135 or something.Don't get me wrong the new cameras out there are great but the old 35mm are still the best in my humble opinion and you already have it buy lots of film and just pack what you have.The pictures you will be taking are for a lifetime of great memories and if in doubt take a pocket size digital for back up.Hope you have a great time and good luck..Ronnie

Default digital

small digital. bring extra batteries and make sure the camera stays dry. Mine got wet and was messed up for a day on a 10 day hunt. Also bring an extra memory disc for the camera you will want alot of pictures

I go with the majority here. Small shirt pocket sized digital like the Kodak V550. You can put a gigabyte card in them and take over 600 pictures at the 5 meg. setting. These type of cameras only have a 3x optical zoom lens so if you are wanting to take pictures of wildlife on the hoof you might want to look at a model with a 10x or a 12x optical zoom. Forget about the digital zoom as it only degrades the quality of the picture. I have a Kodak DX6490 with a 10x optical zoom and my wife has the Kodak V530 for carrying in her purse. The beauty of the digital camera is that you can delete pictures right off the camera if you know they aren't what you want. You also can only develope the ones you want to keep when you get home. You can have them put on a CD for storage too.

I took thousands of pictures over the years on 35mm and owned lots of specialty lenses but digital is the only way to go today in my book.

I use a digital SLR for taking pictures under normal conditions, but for taking hunting pictures I would use a point and shoot digital camera. The best 4MP pocket digital cameras out there don't cost more than $200.00. For example, the Canon PowerShot A520 costs around $175.00. This is a 4MB camera, which produces excellent photos. There are other cameras out there with basically the same features as this one, and cost about the same.

The only drawback with a point-N-Shoot digital is that there is a delay from the moment you press the shutter button until the camera takes the picture, but you will get used to it after a little practice. This delay is not present with digital SLR cameras, but these are much larger and expensive. Keep in mind that most point-N-shoot (pocket digital) cameras come with a 16MB card. You want to buy at least a 1GB card for it. Make sure that whichever pocket digital you buy uses SanDisk or other brand memory card, not just one from the camera manufacturer. You can get a 1GB SanDisk memory card for around $80.00 at Cotsco and other places (shop around for the best price). You will have enough room in a 1GB to save a whole bunch of photos.
    Last edited by RayfromAK; 05-13-2006 at 12:54.

Post Digital Camera

I use an Olympus All-weather (water resistant) 4MP digital point and shoot camera. It uses a Lithium rechargeable battery. Not my preference for battery but I have taken it on moose/caribou hunts the past two seasons and by keeping the battery in my pocket I get 7-10 days of life from it and lots of pictures.

Default Re camera

Go digital.

I have a Nikon D-100 digital with different lenses that I use all the time for my hunts. It is about the same size as your standard film size camera body. I am not sure if I would recommend it for a back pack hunt as it can be bulky, I think I would go with the pocket size digital with the highest pixel rating and carry extra batteries.

Doug

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I use a Gateway DC-M40. It has 4.1 mega-pixel cabability. One thing to do to extend your battery life is to not use the LCD screen when taking pictures. That screen will eat up a lot of your battery power. Another option is a 8mm video camera that will allow still photos also.

Default Digital video vs still cameras

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska
    ...Another option is a 8mm video camera that will allow still photos also.
    Allen,

The only problem I've seen with this is that the stills you get from a digital video recorder are pretty grainy. Same goes with video shot on a still camera. Until the technology merges more tightly, if you want good quality, you need one of each; a video unit and a still camera.

I found out last time that my Sony still camera wasn't waterproof. Don't ask... :-(

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Camera

Take a look at the Panasonic FZ5 digital. 10X optical, image stabilization, light weight, reasonably small. I took one on a sheep hunt last year and was very pleased with the ease of use and quality of photos.

Default Camera Suggestion

I Use A Sony Cybershot (dsc-p100). It Is 5.1 Megapixel And Is Easy To Use. Fantastic Camera. Makes Very Clear Photos. It Is Very Small Also. There Are Some Very High Quality Plastic Storage Bags For Gps Units And Cameras Called Alaksak. They Can Be Found In Many Outdoors Stores And Such. I Bought Mine On Campmor.com. These Are Great Waterproof Bags. Tough As Nails And Cheap. Much Better Than Carrying Around A Bunch Of Bulky,expensive Pelican Cases. Be Sure To Buy An Extra Battery. The Cold Does Effect Them As You Know. Martentrapper Had A Good Suggestion About Keeping It Near Your Body. Also, Keep It In The Sleeping Bag With You At Night. Digital Is The Only Way To Go Man. Too Many Advantages To Overlook. Sony Offers 2 Or 3 Zoom Lens And A Wide Angle Lens As Well. It Makes Some Nice Landscape Photos.

Default Cameras

I would definitely recommend taking a camcorder along with a regular digital camera - the new ones are real small and light. I took a small digital Canon camera along with a Panasonic GS-31 (26x optical zoom) camcorder on our fly in 'bou trip last Sep. With the regular battery that came with the camcorder, along with one long life extra battery, I had no problem with enough battery life for it on the week long trip. Wasn't real cold, only had snow once, but I had plenty of battery life left and filmed alot of footage on the flight in and out as well. In my opinion stills alone are no substitute for some good video and commentary. The videos came out very well - definitely one of those where you watch after the hunt and say, "Now why did I let that bull go by again? I can't believe I did that!"

I did try some stills with the camcorder (since my Canon did not have a big zoom and the camcorder had a 26x optical zoom), but failed to set it to the "still picture" mode before doing that, using it in the video mode, and the "still pictures" do indeed come out grainy that way. Also "took" some stills while reviewing video after the fact. My biggest problem was trying to remember in real time to switch modes while trying to shoot some video, a little too excited on my first caribou hunt I guess and not wanting to "miss" anything.

You can set the resolution for the standard picture mode (which I did, to the highest resolution, since even a small memory card will hold a fair number of still shots in that mode) and I'm pretty sure if I had used the equipment properly the still pictures would have been fine.

I think the bottom line is, if you can afford a couple extra pounds, I'd take both cameras, you won't be sorry having some nice video footage.

Steve