Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New MSR Hyperflow Water Filter

Default The New MSR Hyperflow Water Filter

Have any of you guys tried this filter? For 7.5 oz I might stop drinking directly from creeks!....grin

Seriously though this looks like a sweet deal for the lightweight backpacker/hunter.

http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/hyperflow.asp

Looks pretty nice. I bought an MSR Miniworks just a couple of seasons ago, so I'm not really in the market for a new filter. If I were, though, I think that would be the one.

Cub, Check out the Steripen Adventurer if you haven't already. If you're going for light weight it's a little over half the weight of that MSR filter. I got one last year and was impressed, I used it for almost two months in the fall.

Does that thing (SteriPEN) really work?

Default no..

It is not a Steripen. This is just a cool ***** little pump. I am with Brian on the MSR Miniworks. I have had the same one for years and used it on several 10-14 day float trips. Best money I have ever spent. Not looking for another water filter. When it wears out, nice to see MSR is getting a replacement ready. Looks pretty sweet.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Ya that looks pretty nice. About half the weight of the Mini works and pumps quicker.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Apparently theres a cactch, they are having problems with them (Hyperflow) at temps near freezing. The filter element is breaking or something. New it had to be too good to be true.

Dana... I knew it was a pump, I am the one who posted it.....grin. I was asking Alasken about the SteriPEN,it appears a lot of backpackers are using them internationally with good success, you just need to filter dirty water before using teh SteriPEN on it or it wont work. Something to think about.

Smile gotcha

My bad man. I should have read more closely. The steri pen is lightweight and all but I would trust the pumps over it. If weight is of concern, the new pump mentioned would be worth looking at. The cool thing about the pumps is that they are field servicable. I trust my miniworks entirely, and also have an expedition repair kit for float trips that will fix/replace almost anything that could go wrong. I am sure the new smaller pump is as good if not better. It certainly is smaller and has a faster pump rate. If that steripen went bad on you, you would be drinking from the river.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Yeah the Steripen works. I said I used it for almost 2 full months last fall, meaning I was out using it all that time. I'm still alive. It's cool technology. And very light.

Default I hear you..

"I said I used it for almost 2 full months last fall"

I got that in your other post. I was just pointing out that if it failed, you would be out of luck since there is no way to repair it.

and I was replying to cub.

Default ok

I really should start reading all the post. ha ha.

Default camelbak compatible?

Will the MSR filters connect directly to camelbak bladders?

Default Don't think so...

I am not certain about that. I went to REI and read the reviews on one of the Camelbak bladders. Based on this, it appears as if they will not connect to MSR filters. But filtering into a 32 ounce Nalgene, then emptying into the bladder would not be much trouble. Below is what one reviewer said.

"Also it would be nice if the lid had a thread system similiar to Nalgene bottles, and would attach directly to water filters."

I've got the Katadyn Hiker Pro on it's way to me right now. I plugs right into my hydration bladder bite valve to refill it, no need to take the bladder out.

Steri-pen??? no thanks. Just because the microorganisms are dead, you're still drinking them! I would rather filter the water than sterilize it and drink the dead bugs.

At 11oz and the convenience of attaching to my bite valve, the Hiker Pro got my vote.

KRS

"Just because the microorganisms are dead, you're still drinking them!"

Ever drink tap water?

Yes on the tap water.... they bleach ours down here.

I have to filter it on my own.

KRS

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Have any of you guys tried this filter? For 7.5 oz I might stop drinking directly from creeks!....grin

Seriously though this looks like a sweet deal for the lightweight backpacker/hunter.

http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/hyperflow.asp

I think you may try to use some water filter that is portable and light weight...

The other thing I like about that MSR filter is you can hook it up to a bag of dirty water and it will filter by gravity without pumping. That sounds good to me. It also claims to pump faster than the MSR filter that I have now (not sure which one it is, but it is bigger than the mini-works).

I had problems with my water filter in the brooks range last year at the end of sheep season. First a lot of the water was already frozen, so we had to look around a little to find some that was still in liquid form. Then a few times the water would freeze in the tube while we were pumping.

What a pain. Anyway, I'm thinking with this new filter and bag accessory thing a guy could get a bag of water, bring it back to the tent and let it filter by gravity in the tent vestibule where (hopefully) it is a bit warmer.

This is on my list for potential gear upgrades....it just depends on how much money I win playing poker between now and then....

Richard

Default awesome pump

used one on our sheep hunt last year. This thing pumps water way faster and easier than my MSR miniworks. Very lightweight and easy to use....however,comma,

I would carry an extra filter. Used this one 9 days for 2 people and the filter was pretty clogged by day 9.

Also it needs to be backflushed everyday. This was no problem once I got on the satphone and asked my wife to read me the instructions!. After that it was a 2 minute process and for the weight savings was worth the trouble.

We used it with a platypus bag and a nalgene bottle. It comes with at lid that screws on the nalgene and then the pump will attach the the bottle but I found it just as easy to hold it over the bottle. The spout fit nicely into the platybag so that was easy as well.

My buddy bought one when we got back as we were both very impressed with the speed you can pump. Only down side is once the filter starts clogging it can turn into a should workout to pump fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast