Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Pot ID tags

Default Shrimp Pot ID tags

hey guys just want to show you another little thing i'm putting on the pots this year. I've had these ID tags made up and am hog ringing them on every pot, yeah i know they have my name on them but under that you can use a scratch awl to sctatch in you info like boat numbers, your on camera, i'll kill you if i catch you, i'm watching you or whatever you'd like. It ain't gonna stop the theives but i might make them think. So whadda' you tink
    P3070075.JPG
    i'm building daily & got'um in a few colors, check out the Orca pots, black & white
    P3070083.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

is raiding of others pots a really big issue in PWS, I grew up in an area where people respected one another

Default Commercial or holiday.

Once the commercial guys get out there, or on a holiday weekend it is best to pull them. It happens eveyr commercial opener or holiday in Valdez.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The tags look nice, but I think they would better serve thier intended purpose mounted inside the pots where they couldn't be removed so easily. Yeah, that means you'd have to do engrave them before finishing assembly

Quote Originally Posted by sjofugal View Post
    is raiding of others pots a really big issue in PWS, I grew up in an area where people respected one another

Somedays it is......
    I haven't had happen to me. But friends have had it. One time they left a beer inside the trap for my friend
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    The tags look nice, but I think they would better serve thier intended purpose mounted inside the pots where they couldn't be removed so easily. Yeah, that means you'd have to do engrave them before finishing assembly
    Good idea JR, so maybe i should just include them with the pots , then they can put the info on them and clip them in themselves. Saves me some time

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Once the commercial guys get out there, or on a holiday weekend it is best to pull them. It happens eveyr commercial opener or holiday in Valdez.
    Dave,
    Why do you blame the commercials??? Do you think after fishing thru a 24-48 hour opener with very little if any sleep a guy would care or have the energy to rob a few shrimp?? plus a lot of guys in my fishery have their own pots(i know they bought them from me) so why bother with somebody else's junk. I know i couldn't give a **** about some rec's pots after fishing a opener, i can hardly stay awake and run the boat straight. I'd say its more some of the low lifes that pick the pots, they know the chances are slim to none of being caught.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

When and if you ever meet me i'll give you my opinion on the pot theft story.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I have never had a pot stolen/raided but had one that the tide took away.. by my calculations it should be around cancoon Mexico.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Potbuilder

Openers over here are longer than 24-48 hours. Recovery operations for the hatchery last a week or more. In Sept. we might have 20-40 or more additional boats around. A few stay out in Jack and Saw Mill Bays instead of coming into town.

As I said, commercial and weekend warriors are the ones. Commercials have even been fined over here for pulling pots. Fined for running more than 5 pots (up to 9). Fined for no markings.

One of them had a bouy right next to mine last season with just the commercial boat ID number on it.

Stealing pots, cutting bouys off and replacing them, stealing shrimp have all been problems over here ever since I started shrimping. There is no way to enforce the laws unless someone sat on the pots. Something that is just impractical to do. Shrimp stealing is one of the biggest complaint problems for our trooper over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Openers over here are longer than 24-48 hours. Recovery operations for the hatchery last a week or more. In Sept. we might have 20-40 or more additional boats around. A few stay out in Jack and Saw Mill Bays instead of coming into town.

As I said, commercial and weekend warriors are the ones. Commercials have even been fined over here for pulling pots. Fined for running more than 5 pots (up to 9). Fined for no markings.

One of them had a bouy right next to mine last season with just the commercial boat ID number on it.

Stealing pots, cutting bouys off and replacing them, stealing shrimp have all been problems over here ever since I started shrimping. There is no way to enforce the laws unless someone sat on the pots. Something that is just impractical to do. Shrimp stealing is one of the biggest complaint problems for our trooper over here.
    You must be talking about the seine openings dave??they do last longer towards the middle/end of the humpy season and cost recovery at the hatcheries goes on all summer. I guess no rec guys get caught pulling gear, pots no markings or to many pots being fished, only the comms do that and get fined. How would someone know that there buoy was cut off and replaced unless they to were going around pulling other peoples gear?? Rope is pretty much all alike so i'd guess a guy would have to pull the gear up all the way to the pots to tell whose they were? while they are up might as well empty them??
    If i had all those problems with pots getting lifted i'd get myself dropped off on the beach with a spotting scope and camp out for awhile and see who pulls up the gear, get some video & numbers and go see the fish cops. The fish cops use to do that to us gillnetters all the time, hide in the bushes to watch for the big violators.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Wish

I wish there was a way to catch any of the thieves. Yes people do cut bouys and tie on their own. People empty pots and just dump the gear. I remember last summer I found my best friends bouy almost on top of mine. I kind of thought, it was odd. It was. Someone pulled both sets and dumped them together in a mess. There is one thief that must have a small boat. He always steps on a trap or two and crushes it somewhat.

As far as pot identification, most look the same. Having some kind of identification that is not easily seem and pictures of the traps might help the troopers with recovery. Extra hog rings, wire ties somewhere, something.

There was supposed to be a law change last year that defined better and gave better opportunities for the troopers to prosecute shrimp thiefs. I would stay out if I thought the courts would do something. One could always post pictures of the thief in action around town or something simular.;D

On a brighter note, I found that I still have about 10 bags of shrimp in the freezer to eat before next month.

Take care....

Default Pot raiders

Not sure who pulled my pots. It happened the night before an opener just north of Main Bay. I had my five pots in about 475' of water with 600' of line. All pots had individual lines and bouys. I set the pots in a line parrallel to the shore. About 10 hrs later I went out to pull the pots and all four of the remaining pots were roughly in a line perpendicular to the shore. One of the pots floated a couple miles away. I am thankful I recovered all my pots and glad it was only the shrimp that were removed. I am not blaming any one group. There are bad apples in every barrel. It could have been a private person or just as easily one of the commercial guys looking for an easy dinner before the opener (lots of boats anchored up waiting for the morning).

sorry to get off the original post by PB, was jus curious. As far as the name tags go I think it is a great idea, specialy like the tag that says your on camera (better yet your in my cross hairs)

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    Not sure who pulled my pots. It happened the night before an opener just north of Main Bay. I had my five pots in about 475' of water with 600' of line. All pots had individual lines and bouys. I set the pots in a line parrallel to the shore. About 10 hrs later I went out to pull the pots and all four of the remaining pots were roughly in a line perpendicular to the shore. One of the pots floated a couple miles away. I am thankful I recovered all my pots and glad it was only the shrimp that were removed. I am not blaming any one group. There are bad apples in every barrel. It could have been a private person or just as easily one of the commercial guys looking for an easy dinner before the opener (lots of boats anchored up waiting for the morning).
    Jeff,
    I'll tell you one thing and thats nobody will leave a spot their anchored up on for fear that another boat will see the "open" spot and steal the spot from them. I'm not trying to be the tough guy but your lucky that one of the guys didn't just cut the buoys off and let them float away, those buoys and pots do damage & make a mess of a gillnet and you knowing of a opener in the morning should have know better to set your gear there. Yeah i know nobody owns the ocean and all of that BS but you saying that one of the pots floating a couple of miles? tells me you might have set to deep or not had enough weight in the pots to hold them in the current. I tell folks who buy my pots to put in lots of weight in the pots, i suggest at least 6lbs more and 10 is better and all i get for looks is why so heavy, i won't be able to pull them up!!! Well thats why a lot of pots get "stolen", that and not enough buoyline or setting on a dropoff and the current drifts the pots to deep and lo and behold "stolen pots". See ya around main bay this summer & please watch out for gillnets.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

sorry to get off the original post by PB, was jus curious. As far as the name tags go I think it is a great idea, specialy like the tag that says your on camera (better yet your in my cross hairs)
    You didn't hijack the thread all the guys complaining of pot pickers did . Yeah i guess a good rumor to start would be that i've got a tiny webcam in the bait jar so smile your on camera !! I like the your in the crosshairs line . Now back to regular programming.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Talking GPS Tags

Potbuilder

Maybe you should embed a gps locator in your tags like ADF&G uses on the sea creatures that they try to track.

BTW ~ I sent you another PM.

Potbuilder,

I pulled my gear a full 12 hours before the opener. The opener wasn't until the morning and I pulled my gear around 7 pm the night before. I know better and expected my gear to get cut if I left it out for the opener.

Jeff,
    Sorry if i came across the wrong way & thanks for being a good guy and getting the gear out of harms way. Last year we had a guy anchored up right in the mouth of Main bay when we were all trying to fish there, he was oblivious to what was going on around him, he seemed like he didn't have a clue what was going on ??? i wanted to just go up and cut the anchor line but thats something i wouldn't want done to me so i fished around him for a couple of sets then i left. Everybody has a right to fish where they want but when there are a couple of hundred gillnetters in a area i'd think a body would get the hint and find another place to be in the way . Hey stop by my booth at one of the shows this spring and say hello, i'd like to meet ya.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Potbuilder

Maybe you should embed a gps locator in your tags like ADF&G uses on the sea creatures that they try to track.

BTW ~ I sent you another PM.
    Whats a pot with a gps in it gonna cost
    My lobsterman buddy back east had a problem with another lobsterman stealing from him so he got F&G back there to put chips(like they do for pets) in a bunch of lobsters & they viedoed the whole deal, them putting the chips in the lobsters, putting the lobsters back in his pots and then ziptieing the doors shut and tieing the tunnels closed and setting the pots back in the water. Thief goes out few days later and the fishcops were waiting for him when he came back in, when they checked his catch he had like 80 of the 100 lobsters they chipped long story made more boring the thief got a $110,000 fine.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast