Thread: Snow Conditions Cantwell to Butte Lake???

Default Snow Conditions Cantwell to Butte Lake???

Just wondering if anyone has been down the Denali Hwy lately from Cantwell to the Butte Lake area and how the snow was back there?

I was just about to post the same question. When are you heading up, kingslayer? I'm thinking next Thursday and Friday.

Alaska_Lanche is up there now for a few days, I'm sure he'll post when he gets back. Apparently DOT is clearing the highway up till about mile 11 already, so you cant ride straight from Cantwell on the highway. He'll be going all the way out toward brushkana and will be able to provide a good report tomorrow night.

Default Just got back!!!

A contract company is doing some work on the southside of the road just before the road goes by the Nenana river (20 mile). So they have been clearing it kinda up to there and trailering out that far wouldn't be a problem. However, the night we got there it snowed 12 inches so the next morning when we went to head out there was plenty of snow. On the way back to cantwell the following day they had cleared but was just enough to snowmachine on. With the sun shining today and probably throughout the week probably wouldn't be a bad idea to plan on trailering out to 20 mile. Plenty of snow off the road out past 20 mile though. Lots to play in especially in the trees. Of course there are wind swept areas where its really open as well. All in all lots of fun.

I'm heading up there tomorrow morning for some bird hunting. Anyone else planning on being in the area?

Default Was up there Friday and Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'm heading up there tomorrow morning for some bird hunting. Anyone else planning on being in the area?
    Was out there riding all day friday. It was beautiful and not a cloud in the sky all day long. 75 miles of riding and only 10 of it on the Denali Hwy the rest was fresh powder in some untracked valleys.

Saturday was cloudy and socked in most of the day. Mostly haulin wood though rather than playing around so it didn't matter.

Was there Saturday as well. I rode in to an area between Seattle and Brushkana Creeks and then headed south of the road about 5 miles. Eventually got off the machine and walked a windblown hill where I finally found 1 ptarmagin, but that was it. All in all a good day, though.

Default Cantwell

Will be heading in from cantwell next week. Hows the parking situation this year??

I was wondering the same thing?
    I wonder if there is even enough snow.
    We drove through last week and it seemed that there was enough snow, but my deal is really to go snowshoeing in a couple of weeks.

I suppose my question would be, does anyone know the actual conditions to about 23 miles in Denali Hwy from Cantwell?
    The reason why I am asking on the Snowmachining Forum is because I might just go ahead and borrow a mobile (the Colorado is coming out in me) and ride where I want to go... and then snowshoe the rest.

I am definitely up for suggestions, but am very interested in the snow report in the area.

Thanks!
    Lurker.

Here are a few pics from last weekend which should give you an idea of the snow. As shallow as a foot or two in some places, but on average 3-4' deep off the trails in the willow thickets.

Last edited by Brian M; 03-20-2008 at 19:10.