Thread: looking for places around anchorage to bear bait

Default looking for places around anchorage to bear bait

i will be movig to anchorage when i get back from iraq and have lived in fairbanks for a while. i would like to know if there are any decent places within a hour or so of anchorage to set up bear stations that might be worth it
    not looking for ur spot but any info would be great

thanks

Jason, thanx for your service
    with in 1 hour would be tough- well 14c ( GMU that los anchorage is in ) is closed to baiting.
    so Valley is closest Knik valley but my guess that is heavily baited so then out past Sutton or Talkeetna or down on Kenai Peninsula , alot of guys down here on Peninsula have problems with brown bears at their baits.
    are you bow or rifle hunting? do you have IBEP card if bowhunting?
    do you have the bear baiting class?
    when do you come back home?
    hope this is helpful

be safe Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Thank you

First Jason; Thank you for your service to our country.

Your question is had to answer.

1. There is no central map of who baits where in the state. A person may register a bait station from different locations. So no one really knows where anyone is.

2. In order to bait you must follow certain restrictions:
    A. One mile from a dwelling, improved campsite, seasonally occupied camp.
    B. 1/4 mile from road or a state maintained trail.

3. You would have to drive around and find where everyone else is baiting.

So to answer your question is tough.

MAYBE?? Someone over near Anchorage who has an established bait station might be willing to take you out for a couple of times to hunt. I already have someone coming up and my partner has four people coming up.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    Jason, thanx for your service
    with in 1 hour would be tough- well 14c ( GMU that los anchorage is in ) is closed to baiting.
    so Valley is closest Knik valley but my guess that is heavily baited so then out past Sutton or Talkeetna or down on Kenai Peninsula , alot of guys down here on Peninsula have problems with brown bears at their baits.
    are you bow or rifle hunting? do you have IBEP card if bowhunting?
    do you have the bear baiting class?
    when do you come back home?
    hope this is helpful

be safe Pat
    i have done the class and have the ibep card
    i would be bow hunting
    i come back to ga in july and will be back up there around sep to oct

Default Jason

Jason: Most areas close June 15th or June 30th depending on the area. Some reopen in August. So knowing the unit you want to hunt and the regulations in that unit will be important.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default where people are baiting

I remember a few years ago when i went into F G to register my stand there was a map with pins in every location where there was a registered bait stand.

for a fall bear you do not need a bait! Mother nature provides them hillsides with berries and rivers with salmon. PM me i can point you in direction of a few spots.
    if you have access to a boat ( actually you do MWR rentals....i've done that when mine broke down) Prince William Sound is easiest on salmon streams. problem there is the meat probably will not be worth eating
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Keep your eye on this site, too. I bait, but I moved this year so I'm a lot further than before from my original bait. I may re-open that one, or start a new one or two. Anyhow, depending how things go, I may need some bears shot toward the end of season. If so, I'll be sure to post if I still need someone.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jason66396639 View Post
    .....i would like to know if there are any decent places within a hour or so of anchorage to set up bear stations that might be worth it ....
    I doubt it, but there are some great places just minutes away for spot and stalk.

Default can u

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I doubt it, but there are some great places just minutes away for spot and stalk.

can u point me in a general direction?????
    i have 2 boats a 14 ft jon boat with a 25hp prop and a 22ft sea nymph for pws fishing and hunting
    thanks for the tips

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jason66396639 View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark
    can u point me in a general direction?????.....
    I know a guy and his wife who lived in Anchorage and they would just drive south on the Seward Hwy to certain pullouts between Potter and Portage after work, sit in their car eating a sandwich dinner, and glass the hillsides. It took mere minutes to get there.

He'd catch bears grazing on the sides of the hills in the spring, run up the hill, and shoot them.

He's gotten a few very nice bears like that.

with your ocean boat you will have no problem finding a place in PWS to set a bait in the spring or in the fall hunt a small stream esp. at low tide or just before dark. seems like every trickle of water in PWS has pinks in it in sept and bears are after them