Thread: Ponds

Default Ponds

When flying over the Susitna river valley I've noticed there are quite a few small lakes and ponds in the general area both east and west of the Big Su. How would those be for waterfowl? I know you'd need floats or an ATV (which still would be difficult). Anyone ever fought there way in there and killed any ducks/geese?

Default My experience

My experience with the area out there is that it can be the best or worst hunting in the state for waterfowl depending on the day you hit it. Weather plays a major factor. If you are in the area when the ducks from up north hit it it will be fast and furious but can be desolate the very next day. Good luck.

Huntingfool,
    Without giving away your secret spot, how do you get out there? Do you bushwhack it with the ATV or fly in? Thanks.

Default Access

I have been fortunate enough to have been able to fly in. I am sure there are areas that can be accessed via 4-wheeler / boat or some combination thereof. Unless you are just looking for a challenge or something different to do I might suggest another area. It would be very disappointing to bust your hump and find the area completely desolate of birds..and like I mentioned earlier it is definitely a feast or famine area in my limited experience. Maybe this evening someone with more experience will chime in and tell you otherwise.

Two falls ago in late September I was on a work flight going to Skwentna. We were "Alaska VFR" trying to get up the Su and then the Yentna. Lots of turns and twists to stay at 500 feet and keep at least a half mile of visibility. For the hour and a half we spent in the air I was able to inspect many of the ponds along the way. I saw two ducks. I saw maybe 500 swans. Most of the swans were in creeks draining the lake and ponds. These creeks were about 10 feet across. Only a few swans were in pond water.

You have to consider that a lot of those tundra lakes don't have any food in them for waterfowl. They are too acidic to support food plants, insects, or snails. No food means no ducks.

Some of the larger lakes will support food for the birds since they have water coming in and out and maintain a better pH ballance.

Nancy Lake can fill up with roosting birds, but that is a no shooting rec area so you will be limited to archery only until you get down stream out of the rec area boundary.