Thread: Lake Trout on West End of Denali Hwy?

Question Lake Trout on West End of Denali Hwy?

I know that there are lakers to be had on the east end of the Denali Highway, but what about the west end? There isn't much for large lakes, so I'm thinking no...but might there be something that I'm missing? I'm thinking of heading up to Cantwell on Thursday/Friday of next week to snowmachine, ski, bird and predator hunt. I'd love to try my hand at lake trout fishing as well, but I don't think it's much of an option. Am I wrong?

Biggest ones are in Butte Lake. There are smaller ones in Rosevelt Lake near the old mines. There are quite a few in the pothole lake at the base of the Nenana Glacier, where the old Freezer Shack Camp is located.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Biggest ones are in Butte Lake. There are smaller ones in Rosevelt Lake near the old mines. There are quite a few in the pothole lake at the base of the Nenana Glacier, where the old Freezer Shack Camp is located.
    Thanks for the info. I had thought about Butte Lake being a possibility, but wasn't sure.

Default Might want to Try

Caribou Lake :-)

Default second to roosevelt

If you can make it up to Roosevelt it is absolutely gorgeous, like stated earlier not a lot of big fish but we had one almost every cast with smaller pixies, where the creeks flow in and out seemed to be the best. In the summer the water is so clear and blue it almost looks tropical.

Be careful crossing that first creek on the road into Valdez Creek mine area/Roosevelt Lake. We went across in the morning with our ATV's and didn't think the rain that day would matter much. It got pretty deep and it was sketchy getting back across.

The creek wouldn't be an issue this time around, as I'm planning this trip next week. I'd like to give it a shot in the spring as well, though, so I'll heed that advice. Thanks.