Thread: Kavik River

Default Kavik River

Anyone hunted caribou on Kavik River? Or used Taiga Adventures up there? Any info would be great.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by cool_husker View Post
    Anyone hunted caribou on Kavik River? Or used Taiga Adventures up there? Any info would be great.
    Thanks,
    Tim
    I know some stuff about Kavik River area and caribou but not familiar with Taiga Adventures........is that a guided or outfitted trip?

Default Outfitted

It is an outfitted trip. Any info. would be great.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by cool_husker View Post
    It is an outfitted trip. Any info. would be great.
    Thanks,
    Tim
    If your timing is good it should work out. The timing is of course not always the same every year.

So if your flying into the camp at Kavic River (is that Taiaga your talking about?) you'll need to be "on time".

Like between Aug 5 and 25th.

Default Kavik

Check your PMs

Default Thanks

Thanks for replies. I hoepfully will be in camp 18th to 22nd of august if all works out. Do you know if there is a website? Thanks for the replies.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Default Food For Thought

Well the Cat's out of the Bag Bummer. Kavic what a wonderful place but it does get crowded at times. I am going to provide to much information be it good and or bad and I know it is a little off scope from your original question / post however it will help or at least I hope it will help. Sorry if it seems like I am stepping on toes and or giving up some good data.

Kavic - Left over Tundra Train on an air strip was a well keep secret for many years. Taiga is only permitted for certain things & "outfitting hunts" as posted is not one of them so we have to be careful how we stated outfitted for the purpose of things.

Mike the owner use to offer other services but over the years becuase of abuse of equipment and general disregard for their personnel items some of the services have been disolved for a lack of a better term.

There is a 3000 ft air strip at the Camp and you can purchase fuel if you own a plane. The ADF&G, BLM and many guides use it as a refuling stop for sheep hunters and adventure seekers.

The prices to stay at the Camp have increased over the years but all and all it is a decent value considering the place you are. Also over the past several years many people have chose not to stay at the Camp and Tent Camped off the strip and to be hnoest a lot of them have become a burden becuase they show up without a good plan or the propper gear and find them-selves in a rescue situation. Several years ago a group of people showed up in Walmart type tents is rained 3 inches then froze over night their tent collapsed, their 20 buck sleeping bags were soaked and they had no spares not to mention they brought an 8 year old kid who had no rain gear or winter gear i.e. burden on the Camps resources. The camp is there to make money not provide hand outs to hunters who do not accomplish the correct research for a North Slope Trip. Ok I am off my high horse.

You can expect to find Char / Dolly, and Grayling fishing on the River "Decent" no 12 lbs fish. The Bird hunting was good to excellent however becuase of the increase in visitors over the several years it is not even close.

As an example lets look at 3 years ago after certain user groups found out about the place.
    20 seperate hunting groups chose to fly out to Kavic all were tent camping and provided no additional income to the Camp however some fully expected use of the facility and services which I can tell you did not happen. You either stay at the Camp and pay for the services or bring what you need :-) Looking back that was an average of about 40 hunters over a 7 day pierod on foot in the same area. Not good odds for having a quility Bou Hunt when you racing to an area to harvest a migrating herd that normally comes through in groups of 2-6 animals. Reminded me of the Haul rd without Cars.

You can hunt there as late as the first week in Sept however if it snows and you wish to get out you will be dragging the flight line be foot and hand. "Honest" Most flights are commercial out of Dead Horse. You can also charter Wright Air out of Fairbanks and fly direct VFR to Camp.

Rumor has it that the Camp has been on the market for sale which in turn means you might want to check every month prior to leaving for your adventure to make sure you will have services.

Is the hunt worth the effort if your timing is good - Yes
    Is the area over crowded during August now - Yes
    What can you harvest - Bear once in a while , Wolf now and again, and Bou when they are coming through the area
    Is there fishing available - Yes Grayling and Char / Dollies
    Is the River worth Floating - No - Braided, Shallow with limit pick up points.

Are there other options in the same area - Yes but those will be PM'd to you if you wish to know. They are all tent trips. ON a side note my Father, Wife and brother all harvested their first Caribou there and they were memorable hunts. Will I be venturing to Kavic Camp again more than likely No it has become to popular for me :-(

Sorry for rambling

Best Wishes

Blue Moose

It's been 10 years now since I've hunted in the Brooks Range area but I'm having a hard time imagining why someone would fly into a crowded airstrip to hunt Vs picking a spot to land in a floatplane for a hunt. Is it the cost now?