Thread: Looking for a 1911!

Default Looking for a 1911!

I'm am browsing through the various 1911's out there and was curious on what one to get. I'm looking for the best value, I've been looking at the Taurus but am questionable on quality. Any help, advice, comments is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dono

I've had Colts, Kimbers, and Springfield Armory.
    IMHO the quality of the Colts and the Kimbers exceeds the other mass produced 1911's.
    YMMV.

The best value is Dan Wessons I think. They have risen a bit in price, but you get stainless, adjustable sights, match barrel, Various Ed brown parts, superb fit and finish for about what youd pay for a plain kimber.

If you just want a standard 1911 as the GI got it then get a springfield.

STI just realeased what they call the spartan, I just read a pretty favorable article about it. And I believe MSRP was less than 600.00

Thumbing through some of the 1911 forums taurus seems to be getting pretty good reviews. But I honesltly would buy american or the philipine made guns (they are made on colt tooling)

But I say Dan Wesson, bottom line. But check out the STI Spartan.

I had a Kimber for a long time and really liked it. Excellant quality. Recently got a Dan Wesson and so far really like that. I have heard mixed reports on the Taurus. A friend has one and it is not real reliable. Good luck. akraven

It really depends on what you want to spend. I purchased the Taurus PT1911 about 6 months ago and have had absolutely no problems. It gobbles up everything I put in it and is one of the most accurate .45's that I have owned. I would love to have a Kimber or Brown or STI, I just have a real problem shelling out $1200 plus for a handgun, but that is just me. I would rather have lots than just a few. The only problem I have is that it is a little heavy for CCW. Other than that it is fine. If they made a compact version I would probably have it instead. Good luck.

If you are looking for a traditional styled 1911, then go Colt. For "modern" styling, SIG...DW close second. All the rest are also rans.

Default Charles Daly

I have the EMS model from Charles Daly. The price was great and I have never had a problem with the gun. I found it vary reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. I even carryed it occassionally while I was a cop working plain clothes. For the price (3 years ago) it is a great gun. I did a lot of research back then I what brand of 1911 to buy and I choose the Charles Daly over the springfield.
    My two pennies,
    Tim

Default Kimber is where my money's at...

I've shot quite a few different 1911s to include Colts, Para Ordnance, Springfield, Kimber, and a few others that don't come to mind at the moment. In my experience, it's hard to beat a Kimber. The only other thing I've shot that compared to a base model Kimber was a pretty well tricked out Colt. Just my $.02 for what it's worth. And by the way, if you're not looking at a Custom Shop Kimber, you can pick one up for similar price to most of the others previously mentioned. Kimber makes 1911s that range in price from a little over $700 to over $1000. The differences between the two are basically features.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Default Thanks!

I have been looking at the Kimbers and I guess now I will take a look at the Dan Wesson. Thanks for all your input and if their is anymore keep it coming I'm always interested in what you guys think.
    Thanks Alot
    Dono

Default My advice, for what it's worth

I was an FFL dealer for years and have had many 45's. With the tooling and workmanship used nowadays, you can hardly go wrong with any of the major manufacters. I personaly have a colt and a para-ord in 1911 style, but prefer to carry a matched set of glock model 30's for personal protection. I have 22 rounds of 45 caliber stoppers in a nifty back carry package. Try the feel of several guns and pick what feels right to you.

Default Kimber

I picked up my Kimber Stainless II for about $700 a couple years ago now, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. When I was shopping around I basically fell into two brands: Kimber vs. Springfield. I really do like some of the springfields too, but the Kimber definitely felt and looked better to me.
    My boss in New Mexico had a Colt Commander that was a nice gun, but man was that thing sharp. Seemed like every edge on that gun was trying to catch you or cut you. My Kimber fits with precision, but definitely isn't sharp on any edges. I have only had it jam one time on me in about 600+ rounds and that was because I slapped the magazine really hard up into the pistol and the first round slid forward out of a mag a little bit and when I released the slide it hung up. No problems other than that one.
    Buy a Kimber, you won't be sorry. Its the gun to keep for a lifetime.

I currently own 4 different 45 ACP's. A Sig, Colt Gold Cup National Match, Kimber Eclipse (4") and a S&W 1911. I would have to say the Kimber is my favorite followed closely by the Gold Cup. I also owned a Dan Wesson Pointman 7 a few years back and it too was a very fine gun.

Basicly any one of the high end 45's will serve you well for years. However stay away from the Llama's,Firestorms and the cheap copy cats. Many of them only look 1911 on the outside and the internal works are junk!

I have a handmade 1911 made by Ted Yost (noted as one of the best gun makers out there). The gun is still new, not even broken in yet. I paid $3200 after being on the waiting list for nearly a year. Any ideas from you guys on the best way for me to sell this gun?

Put it in the swap and sell forum?