Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxidermist in Valley

Default Taxidermist in Valley

I am looking for some recommendations on good taxidermists within Matsu and Eagle River area. Thanks.

Default Palmer Tax

I have have used Larry Gulden 907-745-2180. He also is a one man show. I got my mount back in 3 months and it looks great.

I like Clint at Tundra Tanning and Taxidermy.

Woodland taxi, the best buy far!

If you want speed and quanity go else where, if you want quality and a true life like mount go to Foster's in wasilla. Dan is the man!

Foster's Taxidermy- 376-1607

How about all things wild,Ron hills phone 376-7668 fast turn around and great work...

Default its all up to you

i work at a taxidermist in the valley but i'm not gonna do a big ad about why you should come to us.....everyones situation is different......i say contact them all....visit everyone before you even plan your hunt....look at the quality of the mounts that they do for their customers....sure everybody has the mounts that the won awards with but remember that ussually those mounts get alot more attention that the "commercial" mounts that go out the door.....ask where they get their skins tanned...ask if they mount the animal that you plan on harvesting..some taxidermists don't do it all... some do big stuff...some do most stuff...some do just birds...some do just fish..ask how to maintain mounts....ask how the taxidermists prefer how you skin the animals(where to cut, how much cape to save, how to skin feet, turn ears, lips, and nose)... ask how they prefer to take care of game in the field, remember we aren't magicians....although skilled taxidermist can do amazing things.... taxidermists can help you out in many ways from how to take care of game to how to field judge animals....spend some time with your taxidermist .but remember that they are working....its hard for them to get anything done if people are always coming in asking questions, so have a good idea of what you want to know before you show up....but remember the only bad question is the one you didn't ask..also ask how they prefer payment...if they want a deposit right then or if you can pay through out...lots of taxidermists allow paymetn programs or just let you pay however you want...taxidermy isn't cheap and if it is i'd question taking my trophies there....but if you wait until you get a call saying that your trophy is done and you haven't paid anything it could be painful, for most people thats not really good news...i know if i got a bill for a thousand bucks give or take i wouldn't be able to run right over an pick something up....but if you pay a hundred a month or put a big chunk down from your taxes or pfd then its not so bad when it comes time to pick up your trophy..also keep in mind alot of taxidermists dont' have the room to store every mount they get done and if stuff doesn't get picked up room starts getting scarce...some taxidermist have a storage fee...ussually its just to ensure people pick up stuff on time and if you are only a little tardy it doesn't even get brought up ...but also remember that if you dont' pick up your mounts in a year after its completed actions can be made to sell your trophy....thats a long drawn out process but it happens.... if you plan on using the taxidermist...ask for references...ask for a couple of phone numbers of people that are repeat customers that have brought in things over a year ago....call those people...ask those people how their mounts are holding out...if they are cracked or if they have any complaints or praises about the works quality or of the professionalism of the taxidermist....also look at the actual taxidermy shop...is it really really messy...if it is...or if things appear un organized.....remember your stuff is gonna be there ....also how do they know whos is whos...do they use a number system how to they tag their work...lots of taxidermist punch holes in your hide to insure that you are getting yours back...usually it is your invoice number or something......sorry i kind of went on a rant here...i hope any of this information helps people choose the right taxidermist for them and their needs....and good luck hunting everyone...if your not out there shooting stuff i don't have a job
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default W.D. Taxidermy

Anyone have any experience with Wayne Disarro at W.D. Taxidermy?

Default Fosters

I second the fosters Taxidermy, he's done many mounts for us and all are top notch stuff.
    Caribou, Moose, a few foxes, a full body coyote, caribou rack only, adn a few balck bear rugs, no problems with any, good timely service.
    Justin

Default Try This one

Try Tundra Taxidermy he is considered one of the best and has done a an excellent job for me.

Fosters and Woodland have both been awesome for me.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I know Wayne well at WD. Small time operation, very affordable. His rugs are fantastic and his shoulder mounts are very well done too. My buddy just got his sheep back from our 07 hunt and he is extremely pleased, by the mount and the price. Wayne commercial fishes all summer and traps/hunts in the winter so don't expect to get your stuff back in a super short time frame.

He has done a couple of wolf rugs for me, a brown bear rug, and a goat shoulder mount- I have been pleased with all of them. As soon as I kill a big enough sheep- he will be where I take it- as well as anything else I get mounted.

I wouldn't let this guy touch anything I cared about.
    I have seen 2 Musk ox that have been absolutely BUTCHERED by this lacky....

And my all time favorite is that they used a marker to try to draw the "black tips" on the horns. Man....I wish the picture did this justice. I almost hurt myself laughing when I saw it,

I have also seen bears he jacked up too. I think he lets his kids do the work, that can be the only possible explanation.
    Last edited by Brian M; 01-08-2010 at 21:11. Reason: business name removed - contact poster via PM for info

I like Jim @ Artic fox....

These are my favorite's:

Foster's (Dan and the gang) are my favorite for shoulder mounts and rugs. As I type I'm looking at excellent work on both Alaskan and African trophies!

Clint at Tundra did a fine job on three European mounts on wood. Two caribou and a moose from last year.

Default I am a taxidermist

I am new to the Valley, just moved back from Germany.. and am here to retire in a couple years and stay... Currently in the process of building my clientel base... If you care to stop by and take a look at my work I can assure you wont be dissapointed..My pricelist is the mean average of 15 taxidermist i the state on all animals..

Thanks,

Hoytguy

Quote Originally Posted by hupurest View Post
    I wouldn't let this guy touch anything I cared about.
    I have seen 2 Musk ox that have been absolutely BUTCHERED by this lacky....

And my all time favorite is that they used a marker to try to draw the "black tips" on the horns. Man....I wish the picture did this justice. I almost hurt myself laughing when I saw it,

I have also seen bears he jacked up too. I think he lets his kids do the work, that can be the only possible explanation.
    Why would the name be removed, when it is FACTUAL..??? Why would anyone want thiers or a friends trophy returned like this???
    and It can't be a fluke since there is another one done just like it..

In reply to someones comment about " TT being the best around" I submit this....
    I wouldn't let Clint stuff a pork chop for dinner.

Bob Mardis at Action Anatomy Taxidermy. He does excellent work, he's located in Eagle River. 360-6218

Default Question for Huperest??

Is that a new species?? Looks like a beaver with horns! That is GOD awful and I fully SECOND your recommendation about who NOT to use for taxidermy work!

I'm with Blaster on Bob at Action Anatomy. He has done a sheep and several Euros for me that I was very pleased with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast