Thread: Byers/Troublesome/Chulitna Fishing next weekend

Talking Byers/Troublesome/Chulitna Fishing next weekend

I'm planning on camping somewhere in the Denali State Park area next weekend, and I'm planning on fishing Byers, Troublesome, and Chulitna. I don't have any experience fishing in this area and would like to know the best way to catch lots of fish. Any tips? Pointers? Suggestions? Good fly patterns?

A guy on here called Blue Moose guides that area I believe and could tell you lots....From my experience I can tell you that I haven't been back there (Byers) since I was surrounded by 3 bears in 10 minutes. The place can be infested with bear. Same with Troublesome. There are rainbows to be had on egg and flesh but the window of opportunity seems small.

Bring a pistol, shotgun, or some form of a defense mechanism. I worked up that way last summer, and I can't express how many bears are up there in those areas that you listed.

Well hearing this just freaked my wife out. I think we're going to find a different place to go since we don't have any guns. Thanks for your input! I'd rather find a spot where I won't have to be looking over my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by ivan8r
    Well hearing this just freaked my wife out. I think we're going to find a different place to go since we don't have any guns. Thanks for your input! I'd rather find a spot where I won't have to be looking over my shoulder.

That's an understatement...It gets so that you aren't even enjoying the fishing because it's so obvious you're in the middle of the bear kitchen...you expect to see one everywhere you look. Lots of strange noises, and smells. Then on that last trip of mine, all my "imagined" scenarios basically happened; everywhere I looked there was a bear it seemed. Still, good fishing to be had I hear, just not worth it to me.

I hear that! I wanted to go out there to have fun, not to become a story on the evening news.

I think we'll probably end up heading out to Hope instead. Hopefully the pinks won't be too nasty by the time we get there.