Thread: Should I glass bed or not???

Default Should I glass bed or not???

Hello All,

I am new to the forum here but I have been reading all your posts for a while...great way to pass the time while I'm stuck at work! Thanks to all!

I am a lefty. We all know us poor neglected lefties cannot buy anything from a factory so I am having a rifle re-chambered to 375 Ruger. The rifle is a Ruger M77 MK2 stainless in .30-06. I have spoken to a company called McGowan Precision Barrels in Montana and I am set to send the rifle off on Monday. Anyway my question is this...should I have them glass bed it while its there or should I wait to see if shoots as is? I am having them square the action and lap the lugs plus add iron sights to the barrel similar to the factory sights on the 375 Ruger factory rifle. I am keeping the factory laminated stock. I will have them put on a 1" decelerator pad and a trigger job also.

Any feed back to these questions or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Josh Walker
    I aint no monument to justice...

Default glas bedding

Personally, I would have them bed the stock if you have never done it yourself, which would be cheaper if you were capable of doing it. Glas bedding the action would be all helpful. Helps make for a more solid support and will help accuracy.

Thanks for the input Mauserboy! I was planning on having it done already but wanted to see if anyone could talk me out of it to save a few bucks if it might shoot already. What do you think about free floating the barrel as well? I am gonna have them put on a 22" barrel and am not really sure what conture to use (heavy, medium?) . What would you think a rifle like this should weigh scoped and loaded? My 338 WM is about 8 3/4 lbs loaded up and I find recoil to quite pleasant. Not much experience with a 375 though...
    I aint no monument to justice...