Thread: Two Black labs on Craigs llist from Greatland kennels?

Default Two Black labs on Craigs llist from Greatland kennels?

I was wondering if the breeder of these dogs might be on here and if they would take them back. If someone can pass on the word, that would be great!

Here is the ad, as Im sure it'll get flagged....

I recently went through a divorce and my husbnd left me with 2 black labs. They are wonderful dogs. The problem is I am living in Wasilla and working in Anchorage. I cant afford the rent and gas so I need to move to Anchorge closer to work. I cant find a place that will allow my pets. So I need to fing them a home where they can run and play. They spend most of the day cooped up until I get home because I work 2 jobs. I have a male 7.5 yrs old and a female who is 6 yrs old. They are crate trained, potty trained, great with other dogs, kids and cats. All they want is to be loved. I have had them since they were 6 wks old. They are purebread and I got them at greatland kennels in Wasilla. Also they are hip and elbow certified and they have had no health problems. If you know anyone who wants one or both of them please call me. 301-7705 or if you know place in anchorage that will allow them for under 700.00 a month please also let me know as I dont want to get rid of them but its a mtter of their qulity of life right now. Thanks for any help you can give.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

That's a tough situation to be in. Hopefully a good home will be found.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Yea no kidding, I'd hope the breeders are responsible ones and will take the pups they have produced back. I dont know anything about Greatland so its hard to say. Hope it all works out for them though!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Last I heard Greatland Kennels went out of business, the property was sold, and Steve moved Outside.

Karen

Steve McVeigh is back in Wasilla managing the new Sportsman's Warehouse there.

Default why the breeder?

Huntress, why do you feel it is the breeders responsibility to take these dogs back that are over 6 years old? Either you did not read the ad closely, or you are off base here.
    As a reputable breeder, I would in no way feel responsible to take back dogs of that age. I would very likely not take the pups back either depending on circumstances. I would tend to work toward helping that family find a good home for the pups. Responsible after 6 years? Nope.

I have a statement in my sales contract that states "if for any reason the buyer no longer wants or can no longer keep the dog, that I would like it returned to me". It is my responsisbility as a breeder to keep animals I bred from going to the shelter. That's just me.... I know of several other breeders with this statement in their contract and that may have been why Huntress suggested it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Huntress, why do you feel it is the breeders responsibility to take these dogs back that are over 6 years old? Either you did not read the ad closely, or you are off base here.
    As a reputable breeder, I would in no way feel responsible to take back dogs of that age. I would very likely not take the pups back either depending on circumstances. I would tend to work toward helping that family find a good home for the pups. Responsible after 6 years? Nope.

Ak River Rat,

I read the ad just fine and I'm right on base as far as I'm concerned....

A reputable breeder is responsible for any litters that they produce for the life of those pups. It IS my responsibility, no matter what age to take that dog back (or help re home it), no questions ask. If you join an all breed club? Most even require you in the code of ethics to take a dog back or assist in finding it a new home, no matter what age it is.

If you decide not to take one of your dogs back, so be it, but in my eyes, you brought that dog into the world, its your job to keep up with that dog for the rest of its life, you are ultimately responsible for bringing that dog into this world, its your job to make sure that it does not end up in a shelter or rescue.

I even have it in my contract that a dog is not to be re homed without my permission, and I have first right of refusal. I use every tool there is out there available to me as a breeder. Including limited registrations for pets etc...
    I also require spay or neuter of any dog not attaining some sort of working title. I also use co-ownerships on dogs that will be obtaining a title or two, as a tool to control what is bred and what is not bred. I can tell you right now, none of my dogs have been in rescue or a shelter. ......Dont TELL me I'm way off base for my beliefs, Its my right and responsibility and it should be the same way with all folks who bring that life into this world.

You'll have to excuse my abruptness, I don't think dinner sat well. I deal with folks with this same mentality day in and day out. It starts when I first wake up, to the last email in the evening. But I keep telling myself if I can at least make the difference in one dogs life, then I have done my job. Its very sad that others expect someone else to pick up the pieces....!

Default better agree to disagree

Believe what you want. Free choice. But now you are placing your values on somebody that is no longer in business? That may or may not live in the same area? That may or may not be able to provide for a dog somebody else committed to when they purchased it?
    No. I have bred dogs for a long time. I am in no way responsible for the plight of people who chose to buy the dog years after that purchase. I do take care in choosing good buyers. I have rejected buyers in favor of what I felt were better choices for the pups. Am I free to make the choice to help later? Yes. Required? Hell no.
    My responsibility as a breeder in the long run went as far as the physiology of the dog. Now you want to make breeders responsible for everything else? You go right ahead if you think you want to have that type of control.
    Next are you going to tell me it is my responsibility to feed the dog? choose the food? train it? protect it? All while the dog is owned by somebody else? Sorry. Just won't fly.
    Your objective is noble, maybe. Your contract, your "tool", is just about as good as the paper it is written on. Nothing more. The only control you have is in your initial assessment of a buyer, and whether or not you hand them the registration clear and free or not.
    The responsibility in this case is being taken care of. The owner appears to be taking measures to find the dogs a good home before they end up in a shelter and that is what matters. Your attempt to shame the breeder to live to your standard is not.

Excuse me RiverRat, but I was not aware the breeder was no longer in business when this was posted. I have not shamed anyone in this case as you say, you were the one who pointed out my standards and were quick to jump on the bandwagon. It was pointed out to me after the fact that this person was no longer in business, and yes, reputable folks would want to know their dogs were being placed on a web page such as craigs list. I was merely sending out that information "In case they were on here"...did I not say that? I think I did! I certainly did not post it to get into a bantering session with you.

My contract or "tool" has worked for many years, without one misplaced dog. Sure, it all starts with picking the right owners, but it also continues with the life long support of your breeder as well and until you have walked in my shoes, you cant tell me how good my contracts stand up, because I can point you towards a few folks who are now dog less because my "tools" worked in the court of law. So....keep doing what your doing. I'll keep doing what I'm doing....I know I can sleep at night knowing where all my pups are and arent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Believe what you want. Free choice. But now you are placing your values on somebody that is no longer in business? That may or may not live in the same area? That may or may not be able to provide for a dog somebody else committed to when they purchased it?
    No. I have bred dogs for a long time. I am in no way responsible for the plight of people who chose to buy the dog years after that purchase. I do take care in choosing good buyers. I have rejected buyers in favor of what I felt were better choices for the pups. Am I free to make the choice to help later? Yes. Required? Hell no.
    My responsibility as a breeder in the long run went as far as the physiology of the dog. Now you want to make breeders responsible for everything else? You go right ahead if you think you want to have that type of control.
    Next are you going to tell me it is my responsibility to feed the dog? choose the food? train it? protect it? All while the dog is owned by somebody else? Sorry. Just won't fly.
    Your objective is noble, maybe. Your contract, your "tool", is just about as good as the paper it is written on. Nothing more. The only control you have is in your initial assessment of a buyer, and whether or not you hand them the registration clear and free or not.
    The responsibility in this case is being taken care of. The owner appears to be taking measures to find the dogs a good home before they end up in a shelter and that is what matters. Your attempt to shame the breeder to live to your standard is not.

I guess I don't understand why this has become a question of morals. Why does it matter to you AK River Rat? Are they you're pups? If they are, I suppose you have a moral obligation to them as their breeder to at least help this person out. If they aren't, then I don't think you have a right to be condemning Huntress for passing on the word to their "breeders". From what I can see, she made a statement. We all make statements. I'm sure even you have made a statement a time or two.

Now, back to the subject at hand. Can we find the breeder to at least see if he/she is interested in taking these dogs back? If not, lets try to help this woman {Like Huntress was attempting to do by posting the whole post}. If you notice the woman is asking for someone to help her also find a place to live. Now maybe take some of this pent up energy you have and maybe assist this woman with the situation at hand. The last thing the shelter needs is more Labs.

Default Time

I think 6-7 years is a long time for someone to have to take these dogs back. If someone after a short time told me one of my dogs was not what they expected I would certainly take it back. But two adult dogs at this age is a different story.

Lets concertrate on finding a home this pair. I have considered getting another, but three is too much.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Stupid Question

Why doesn't someone ( with knowledge) contact Lab Rescue? I'm there is at least one Lab Rescue within 1-2 hours of this lady? This would of eliminated all the negative remarks back and forth.. Just a thought

Default Rescue

Unfortunately, we no longer operate our rescue program. Really had a hard time deciding to stop. Just sucked to try and operate with your hands tied. Upward ways of prices prevented us from moving ahead.

The Golden Retriever Rescue up in Fairbanks will also rescue Labs. They do have members in this area. Also adoptafriend.net has a large listing of rescue resources.