Thread: .44 Flat Top Blackhawk

Default .44 Flat Top Blackhawk

I picked up the 50th Anniversary "Flat-Top" ,44 mag Blackhawk that I got an excellent deal on online. Can't recall how many Ruger single actions I've had, mostly all 3 screw and new models, so I should be kind of jaded on them, but, this gun, with it's Blackhawk gripframe, flat-top receiver and 6 1/2 inch barrel is so nice looking, kind of elegant. The bluing is not the highly polished finish it once was, but the whole general look and feel to it is, to my eyes, darn near perfect. It also balances beautifully. I plan on using it for my trail gun, commemorative or not, and will be putting some major loads through it, but will run it with the black checkered "hard rubber" grips, which look almost identical to the early ones. They feel a lot better then the Super Blackhawk frame.
    I'll have to get a good holster for this one, so maybe Double D bandoleer from David Johnston in Chugiak. Takes the load off my waist. I've always liked crossdraw, practicing regularly to do it safely. So, nothing cutting edge, no unique materials, no lazer rail, just a really fine old "Grandpa's" gun as one of the guys I work with calls single actions. Hopefully this one stays with me a long time. Thanks for listening.

Default Ruger flat top .44

Congradualations on your new gun! I have an orginal but I will pick up one of the new ones if I get a chance.

Just for grins I dug out the Aug. 56 American Rifleman that had announcements for the .44 Mag. cartridge and the first Ruger add for the .44 Blackhawk. Gun is listed at $96 - a lot of money in 1956. For comparison a Savage 99 is shown in the same issue for $109.

The flat top is shown and described with walnut grip panels. To the best of my limited knowledge the walnut grips were standard on the gun; perhaps the plastic could be special ordered? I remember shooting mine with full power loads; the gun would twist in my hand and the front of my trigger finger would get smacked by the trigger guard. Perhaps the checked grips would help.

I carried mine in a full flat Ruger houster that were popular at the time. There wasn't much avalaible in housters when I carried mine around in the early 80s.

If you would like a copy of the ad send me your email address I'll scan off a copy and send it to you.

Default 50th Anniversary Blackhawk

Well, when it first came out, there had never really been anything like it, besides the .357 that it was modified from. So, as now, when something new and special came out, it was going to cost you a premium. Remember the first hand-held calculators?
    The checkered grips were actually used on the very first batch of .357 Blackhawks, but I guess the factory decided it would be a nice touch and I personally agree. I might have to go with a different grip for using the heavier loads. We shall see. But, I know how it will feel to shoot it, just great! 8*) I will get David Johnston in Chugiak, Diamond D Leather, to make me one of their nice leather bandoleer holsters. The Alaskan Sportsman chest holsters are rugged, but they ain't pretty!
    Getting a copy of the ad would be nice, thanks. wjtroy@hotmail.com

Default 50th Anniversary Blackhawk pics

Here are a couple so-so shots of the Blackhawk. Doesn't do the gun justice. Man, I just realized what a crush I have on this handgun. Hope it lasts. Been divorced once already!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Speaking Of Rugers...Seen The New John Wayne 100th?

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Here are a couple so-so shots of the Blackhawk. Doesn't do the gun justice. Man, I just realized what a crush I have on this handgun. Hope it lasts. Been divorced once already!

We ordered one of these in on a special request...

http://www.taloinc.com/AmerRifle.pdf

Default Nice gun

We've had them in stock for a while. Sold one about a month or so ago. Very well done.

mauserboy, check your private messages!

I have one of these, and really like it. I did find that the hard rubber grips are pretty abrasive when the gun rolls back in recoil.

After one range trip with the factory grips, I bought some slightly oversize maple grips on eBay. That made all the difference in the world, particularly with stouter loads.

Default get a grip

I would also like to get different grips as I will be shooting heavier loads in the 50th. Unfortunately, Ruger opted for more correctness on this Anniversary model and used the original XR3 gripframe rather then the XR3-RED frame which the greatest majority of Blackhawks use and the grips for these usually don't interchange. I believe the Ajax grip Co. has models for the XR3 frame, #26, I believe.

If you'll check www.rugerforum.com you can run a search and find different sources for grips for these guns. I got mine on eBay, but I don't see any there at the moment.

Default Who Is We?

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    We've had them in stock for a while. Sold one about a month or so ago. Very well done.
    Who is we? You in Los Anchorage?

I love discovering another gun shop!

Default Another shop

Oh, we've met and you've been in the store a lot, just not lately.

Default We just took one in on trade...

It's not the 50th Anniversary model, at least I don't recall it being marked as such, but it IS a Blackhawk .44 mag, fluted cylinder and shorter B'hawk grip frame. This one came to us from a Cowboy Action shooter, who put a set of 'experienced' Ruger walnut grips on it. I LIKE the looks of the checkered synthetic grip panels, but after having shot 'heavies' through my Blackhawk .45 Colt, I swapped them with a set of walnuts from a Single Six. Made the Single Six feel a lot better, AND the .45 Colt is more manageable, I don't doubt that even using the Super B'hawk frame and panels would help a lot, and there was a reason for going that way. Unfortunately, a feller don't usually head up the trail with gun in hand, and the longer/bigger grips sometimes take a beating in the holster.....
    I might have to sneak this .44 home with me. It'd nestle in well between the S&W 's in the locker.

Default .44 Blackhawk

Ruger did some runs of these later Blackhawk .44 mags over the years. The last one I had was in the mid nineties, 5 1/2 inch barrel. Traded it for, well, something else.