Thread: Survival Rifles/guns?

Default Survival Rifles/guns?

Does anyone carry a survival rifle/shotgun/revolver/etc. with them in their boat, snowmobile, etc?

I've often had the dillema of what to carry. I've thought a .22 rifle would be good for small game, but then in AK, you have to worry about bigger teath in every bush.

For my situation, I'm out fishing, and what if my boat stops and I have to spend some time on one of the many islands down here in SE?

I carry a .410 on my sled almost all the time. Part for if I happen to see some ptarmagin and part for if I have to spend a few days out there due to a break down. Once the bears are out I am undecided on if I will start to cary my 454 or not. But if it does not bother me to have it on I probably will.

Default Depends...

Survival from being eaten or from starvation? That is the question. I would worry about the former. It is very unlikely that you will be stranded long enough to starve. Stash some Mountain House meals, backpacker stove, small titanium pot set, MSR Miniworks water filter, and energy bars on the boat and be done with it. Pack a 7 piece fly rod. You will have time to kill and you should enjoy it. Then put a Smith and Wesson Model 500 in the boat. That will help out with the more imminent threats. If room allows, a stainless Marlin Guide Gun 45/70 would be even better. I carry both on in my canoe on NW Alaska float trips. I think you should be able to stuff one or the other in a powerboat. Lots of peace of mind to be had here.

https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...lrlCF7%2FU6xpn

https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...0226&langId=-1

https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...berId=12500226

https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...0226&langId=-1
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

.44 mag is a good gun for bear protection etc, the ammo is available enywhere ammo is sold and you can get shot shells that work well on smaller game. I have a friend who prefers his 629 with shot shells over a shotgun or a .22 for ptarmigan and grouse. I just got a Ruger Redhawk with a 5.5 inch barrell and that will by my new survival go everywhere do everything gun. They are bomb proof, reasonably rust free and tested in the elements.
    River Runnin

My dad lives in the SE, and he owns a Marlin 70PSS. It's a take-down .22, basically a two-piece version of their Papoose, good for stashing in the trunk in or in a backpack.

I think the purpose of a "survival" rifle is that is gives you a method of feeding yourself in a pinch, and that it's easy to stash somewhere... starvation is a bigger threat than getting eaten, so most survival rifles I've heard about are .22 caliber: big enough to take small game, which are plentiful everywhere. The only other rifles I know of that are similar are made by Henry and Browning.

There are also "kit guns", little .22 revolvers you can stash in a tackle box or pack just in case you're stuck somewhere, that fulfill the same purpose. I think whether a person chooses one of these instead of a survival rifle depends on what they're best at shooting with.

If I was going to prepare myself for any contingency, I think I'd want a BIG handgun for bear protection and a .22 rifle for hunting; a box of .22 lr would go pretty far, and I'd probably never use the bear protection gun. It would make me feel a lot better to carry it though. If I had to go with just one gun, it would be a .30-06 in either a take-down or ultralight configuration.
    Last edited by Wolfeye; 03-17-2008 at 20:46. Reason: fixed grammar error
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    My dad lives in the SE, and he owns a Marlin 70PSS. It's a take-down .22, basically a two-piece version of their Papoose, good for stashing in the trunk in or in a backpack.

I think the purpose of a "survival" rifle is that is gives you a method of feeding yourself in a pinch, and that it's easy to stash somewhere... starvation is a bigger threat than getting eaten, so most survival rifles I've heard about are .22 caliber: big enough to take small game, which are plentiful everywhere. The only other rifles I know of that are similar are made by Henry and Browning.

There are also "kit guns", little .22 revolvers you can stash in a tackle box or pack just in case you're stuck somewhere, that fulfill the same purpose. I think whether a person chooses one of these instead of a survival rifle depends on what they're best at shooting with.

If I was going to prepare myself for any contingency, I think I'd want a BIG handgun for bear protection and a .22 rifle for hunting; a box of .22 lr would go pretty far, and I'd probably never use the bear protection gun. It would make me feel a lot better to carry it though. If I had to go with just one gun, it would be a .30-06 in either a take-down or ultralight configuration.
    Thanks for the info. I agree...I'm thinking a .22 is the best bet. I would like to get one of those take-down rifles so I could throw it in a bag, vehicle or boat, without taking up a lot of space. A kitgun would also be nice, but they are also alot more $$$ than a .22 rifle.

In my sled, I carry a Mossberg 590 mariner.

I carry #7 shot, 00 buck, .50 cal rifled sabots, and flares.

One gun= small game, personal protection, and emergency signalling

A short barreled shotgun with birdshot and slugs would do it all......get a TC if size and weight matter

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    ...get a TC if size and weight matter
    Thomson Contender... hadn't even though of suggesting those. I think they make a .45 colt that comes with a .410 shotgun choke, and it's even strong enough to shoot the hot .45 loads from Cor-bon and Buffalo Bore. Sounds like a good survival gun to me.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Default Taurus

The Taurus revolver that shoots 45 Colt and 410 shotgun shells in interesting.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Kel-Tec .223 pistol. Smaller than a break-down .22lr, uses AR-15 mags. Supposed to be good enough to shoot a quarter sized group at 100yds from a rest. According to the article in the Daily News today, .223 is good enough to take a polar bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    In my sled, I carry a Mossberg 590 mariner.

I carry #7 shot, 00 buck, .50 cal rifled sabots, and flares.

One gun= small game, personal protection, and emergency signalling
    Sounds like a good set-up. When you say "flares", are you talking about the plastic ones that fit in the hand-held flare guns? Or is there something different for shotguns?

Just regular 12 GA flares like you get from Eagle enterprises... they say you're not supposed to use them in a regular shot because of the corrosion, but I'll worry about that after the helicopter ride home.