Thread: cold weather illuminated rectical?

Default cold weather illuminated rectical?

Has any one tried these battery powered scopes in the cold? Also does any one know if the battery goes dead do you still have cross hairs to shoot with or just nothing at all?

I have used a cheap burris red dot scope at -20 and it worked ok. Personally I wouldn't trust one for an extended hunt unless it had a standard reticle that could be illuminated at night. The scope that I have been looking at for night hunting is the bushnell scopes with the firefly reticle. It has glowing reticles that you charge by shining a flashlight through the scope for a couple minutes. Once the reticle is charged it is supposed to continue to glow for 10 hours.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have a Leupold VXIII 1.5X50X20 with the Circle Dot Illuminated Reticle on my AR Clone in 6.8 SPC. It works just fine in cold weather but the battery does not last as long as it would in warm weather. Yes you still have a reticle on this particular scope and other scopes that have a Duplex type reticle if the battery dies. You will not have a reticle on a sight like the Bushnell Holosight or the Eotech if the battery dies.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9 w/Firefly and it's a nice scope, I went with it because of the glowing reticle without depending on batteries. I have not tested it, but I would be willing to bet large amounts of money that it will not glow for 10 hrs, I can notice it fading within minutes. Another thing that kinda dissapointed me about it is that the entire reticle doesn't glow, just the blocky outside portion of the crosshairs.

KK

Default Thanks fellas

Thanks you guys for you're input! I'm new to this site and appreciate all the input even though you don't know me. I really don't think that I'm going to go with the LR type, it just doesn't really seem worth the risk if the batt. goes dead, or you have to recharge w/the flash light. May be they will come out with some kind of single dot tritium type or some thing in the future. I like the idea of the flash light recharge though. Thanks again!

snowshoe

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowshoe View Post
    Thanks you guys for you're input! I'm new to this site and appreciate all the input even though you don't know me. I really don't think that I'm going to go with the LR type, it just doesn't really seem worth the risk if the batt. goes dead, or you have to recharge w/the flash light. May be they will come out with some kind of single dot tritium type or some thing in the future. I like the idea of the flash light recharge though. Thanks again!

snowshoe

Look at the Trijicon line of optics. They use fiber optics instead of battery power.

Thanks Allen, I'm on line now so I will check it out.

Well I went and checked things out online. I really like the Trijicon scopes, they have a great idea there and I know they have a great product, but is kind of way out of my price range.(wife kids taking first priority) Especially since I'm putting it on a $300 H&R ultra varmint fluted. However I did go and look at the bushnell Fire fly on Cabellas site. The reviews on it are excellent and the price and warranty are just about right. Thanks again for all you're input!

snowshoe

I've tried them down here in the lower 48 in cold deer weather, (not sub zero) and not had any problems. Great for early morn and dusk in the darker woods. Check out www.sportsmansguide.com Some good prices on 3x9. If you do loose battery at sub zero temps, at least you're no worse off than if you didn't have lighted

I've used the Trijicon ACOGS before and they perform great at night. I did however trade one for the Leupold 3x14x50 for larger field of view and the variable power. The Leupold has the lit reticle with the battery powering it. I've used one all season and it worked fine. It was dead however at the beginning of the next season, so I put a new battery in it. I used it down to -40 and it worked just fine. I know they are out of your price range, but I thought I'd just toss some personal use info out there for anybody looking. I also went with the Leopold because I could not mount the Lightforce light to that scope. Lightforce and Leupold equals 200 yard night shots without any problems.

So is the light force an add on to any scope, or part of you're Leopold ? It sounds pretty impressive if it's staying lit @ -40. Thats good advise about the sports mans guide, I get a membership to the guide every year, And I never buy any thing with out checking their site first. I got my new riffle yesterday! hopefully going to the range today. I just put a BSA 3-12x40 on it for now,but I will upgrade later this summer after I get back to work. Thanks again for all you're input!!
    Last edited by aksnowshoe; 12-10-2008 at 01:24.

aksnowshoe,
    Here's a link to the light kit.
    http://www.tufflights.com/product_info_rmsm.shtml

It mounts onto the scope and can be taken on and off. It has a 8AH SLA Batttery and a rheostat to control power. It works awesome, but can be tricky to carry on the snowmachine.

I have been trying to come up with a decent way to carry my rifle on the sled. So far my best solution is to carry it across my chest with the sling. It's not really a good way to carry it but at least you can see if the barrel is going to hit a branch or something. How does the light force attach?

snowshoe

The light force has a clip that mounts onto the scope. You can take the light on and off of that clip setup very easily. It's tough to ride with the gun and the Lightforce on at the same time. I usually keep the gun on my back with one of those CLAW slings and put tape over the end of the barrel to keep snow out. Then, I keep the Lightforce setup in an action packer in foam on the back of the Skandic. My rifle doesn't have a very long barrel, so I can easily dodge overhead sticks while riding and not catch the rifle. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the link snowcamo. I bet that set up works pretty good. I have those light force lights on my truck and I know their good lights and tough too.
    snowshoe

I use a Night Force scope with lighted reticle. I only use it (the lighted reticle) during low light conditions, when the crosshairs would not be visible otherwise. If the battery goes dead it still works just like a reguler scope.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default Batteries?

Hey Graybeard thanks for the reply on an old thread! I'm still saving my money for a scope, and have not settled on one yet. Have you tried the night force out in extended cold? Also what kind of batteries dose it use?

Thanks!

snowshoe

To be honest while I have used the scope out at 35 below, I never turned on the lighted reticle, never needed it.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"