Thread: Ahhh the smell of fish in the air and bears in camp!

Smile Ahhh the smell of fish in the air and bears in camp!

Alright folks, suppose I'm tent hunting in SE Alaska on Kuiu Island in early September, it's low to mid 50's outside and raining solid all week. Bear hunting was great! soooo...now we're fishing and it's slammin' .

Problem is what to do with the fish each day. We have plenty of dry bags, we could hang them each night with ice...and we have access to coolers, we could fill and hang them (might be a trick as heavy as they are and hoping the handles hold out)...or ????

I don't want to draw in bears to camp and I don't want fish to spoil during the 6 days we'll be on the island (although we'll probably be fishing only the last day or two unless we all tag out awful fast.

Any advice? What have other done to keep the bears away from your fish and out of your camp during a bear hunt/salmon combo?
    "America sleeps safely in her bed because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do her harm."

G.Orwell

Catch one to eat in camp each night and release the rest. Seriously, there is little you will be able to do to preserve your catch, let alone not attracting bears. Though I like to keep salmon for the freezer, in a situation such as yours it just might not be feasible.

Default Wishful Thinking???

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Catch one to eat in camp each night and release the rest. Seriously, there is little you will be able to do to preserve your catch, let alone not attracting bears. Though I like to keep salmon for the freezer, in a situation such as yours it just might not be feasible.
    Hmmm...I guess I had delusions of grandeur! I had hoped to bring a box of salmon home. Can you come down to Arizona and explain to the little woman why I'm spending so much to shoot a bear and can't bring her home any salmon for her? I'm too scared.
    "America sleeps safely in her bed because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do her harm."

G.Orwell

Well, if you can keep ice in the coolers for that time period, you could certainly keep some on the last day...maybe two. I guess I've never tried keeping ice for that long, but maybe it can be done.

Also, you can tack two days onto the end of your trip in Juneau, Ketchikan, or wherever you're flying out of. Fish the local streams and pack a fish box that way after getting your bear.

Read about possesion limits, act accordingly...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Take a large co2 extingusher(sp) with you and freeze the fish.

Default Salmon

Ah, well if your lucky hunt every day but the last, catch your one days limit the last day and off you go. The water up here is not very warm so sea water keeps things cooled of. Ice don't melt like it does in Az here. One good thing about PWS is Glaciers.
    Once back in town you can filet them out and have them flash frozen.
    Here is a photo in PWS Oct 07 of my boat
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 04-27-2008 at 15:10.

Default Awesome Photo

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Ah, well if your lucky hunt every day but the last, catch your one days limit the last day and off you go. The water up here is not very warm so sea water keeps things cooled of. Ice don't melt like it does in Az here. One good thing about PWS is Glaciers.
    Once back in town you can filet them out and have them flash frozen.
    Here is a photo in PWS Oct 07 of my boat
    That photo is beautiful! Fish no fish and bears or not, the trip will be to remember for sure!

G.Orwell

Default Give me a break

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Read about possesion limits, act accordingly...
    Not everyone looks to break the law to have a few extra fish. We are quite aware of the legal limit Powder Monkey. If you read any of my other email strings and read what I do for a living, breaking the law, any law, isn't worth losing my job over. Thanks for the reminder.

G.Orwell

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Border Justice View Post
    Not everyone looks to break the law to have a few extra fish. We are quite aware of the legal limit Powder Monkey. If you read any of my other email strings and read what I do for a living, breaking the law, any law, isn't worth losing my job over. Thanks for the reminder.
    Ah, Good! You considered the source!

My advice would be to hunt until you tag out. Fish as much as you want. While fishing keep what you need for that nights dinner (within limits AKPM) and here is the key. Take lots of photos of the fish that you do catch. Donít worry about bring fish back into town, but when you get back go to the fish market buy some fish and have it flash frozen then shipped home. You wonít have the pain in the Axe of having to get the fish out or having to deal with bears that arenít dead. If you get back and have the photos and some fish everyone will be happy including the little woman. Thatís how I would do it.

Drew

Default AKPM's Advice

Actually, I think he made a good statement after reading your post (I wouldn'yt normally say that).

"Problem is what to do with the fish each day. We have plenty of dry bags, we could hang them each night with ice...and we have access to coolers, we could fill and hang them (might be a trick as heavy as they are and hoping the handles hold out)...or ????"

Sounded like you planned on limiting out each day (which would be fun and shouldn't be too hard). I think he was saying there are daily limits and possession limits to watch out for. Without freezing them completely, you can't keep more than the possession limit (at most two days fish, sometimes only one days limit). Putting them on ice won't cut it. Lots of outsiders and locals get nabbed for this so the warning may be good.

I would wait until the last evening and morning (if it's two days limit as the bag limit) and catch your fish to keep. Have them frozen in town and take them back.

Good luck on your hunt.

Gooch

You could take what you need to brine and smoke them. Would preserve the salmon but sure would make the bears hungry. UMMMM smoked fresh salmon, won't be long now. See folks smoking them at Chitna all the time.

Have an awesome trip

Steve

Default cannery ice

Hey Border,

If you guys have access to coolers you can fill up a couple of them up to the brim with ice from either of the Wrangell canneries before you head out with Breakaway. Eric can boat you right up to them for a fill up. This is the same ice that the commercial fisherman use to preserve their catch and it lasts much longer than the ice you can buy in the stores. The advice to wait until the last couple of days before you keep any fish (for home) is wise. Gut and gill the fish and then stuff the cavity with ice, also making sure to layer fish and ice evenly within the designated fish coolers. It should keep the fish just fine as long as your ice has lasted. Try to leave yourself enough time when you return to Wrangell to fillet the fish and bring them to G&G to vacuum seal and freeze. Bruce might be able to help you out with this too.

have fun and be safe

What AKPM is saying is that you really cant bring back coolers full of fish not because of the daily limit but because of the possession limit.

Talking Ok Ok

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    What AKPM is saying is that you really cant bring back coolers full of fish not because of the daily limit but because of the possession limit.
    I understand the possession limit. Let me rephrase before someone else hammers me too! I am looking to bring back some fish, up to but not exceeding daily or possession limits, to my home. I'm a native Oregonian and transplanted to AZ for work some years back. I love salmon, but try to get a fresh salmon in a phoenix store. Not gonna happen. Besides all we get are farm fed atlantic salmon. Yuck!

Fresh wild salmon...Mmmmm! I just don't want to get into bear trouble trying to save a few fish. The idea to take photos and then buy it in town is probably the better idea, but then we're back to spending more money and this trip keeps tacking on dollars each day as it is!

G.Orwell

Default expensive+++++++++

The way I fiqure, when I step off the plane to be left for hunting I'm thowing around 12k worth of gear on the ground. DIY hunts always have hidden or vague neccessary services or items that co$t. I enjoy thinking that all my gear heads home with me and the next time it's tried and true. If this is your first AK hunt you'll find that those costs do creep up. I'll tell you this......I never bring back a single fish from a hunt. Logistically its too complicated and expensive. I'd prefer getting as many quality photos possible and eating well in camp.

Spending 10k for a guided hunt isn't too off in my estimate after doing some trips on my own. For an outfit to ensure your success and safety there are plenty of hidden costs in Alaska.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Guided vs DIY

I agree BigHorse that guided hunts may be fair for what they are offering, I just can't afford 'em. But then there's plenty of things I can't afford or refuse to pay for what I can learn and do myself for that matter.

I've never been on a guided hunt. I bet it's awesome. I'm thinking about a goat hunt. But the cost is very high in comparison to what you can put together on your own with a little networking, research and a little resourcefulness. maybe I'm lucky, maybe just thorough in my research, but I've put together loads of DIY hunts and I have never been unsuccessful on any of them (knock on wood!). The bear hunt I'm going on. Total cost with air, license, tags, and everything...$2700 each. Of course we all have loads of expensive gear that we've collected over the years too, but DIY is much easier on the pocket book. Now I may not get the B&C world record where some outfitter may, but I'm okay with that. I'm out there for the experience more than the trophy.

G.Orwell