Thread: Hyde's Sculpin

Default Hyde's Sculpin

Anyone ever tye the Hyde's Sculpin? Great fly for rainbow, used it on the Kanektok and Arolik rivers a few years back. Had a fly tyer from Colorado tye a couple dozen for me and he did an excellent job. Since then he has relocated and I lost contact with him. My loss.

I've always liked straight forward wooly heads, I put strips in them and sometimes eyes. I don't usually mess with pectoral fins but you can and some people like red throats. Black tan and dark green seem to be good. Easy to tie but remember to add some weight to them. Never have tried hyde's but I'd be interested to see it tied as well.
    River Runnin

I'll tie you some if you want...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I'll tie you some if you want...
    How about tying one up and posting a pic, would really like to see one again. I don't recall which book they were pictured in though, all I can remember was that it was a book on Alaska flies. Thanks

Fly Patterns of Alaska page 13. Hyde's sinking sculpin looks like a really big smolt pattern with some maribou on it. His sculpin looks like a mudler, from the side it has a really flat head, I hope from above it's wide too.... As I say I like wooly heads because sculpin wool is easier than spun deer hair, you could do the rest the same I think. I prefer simplicity when I'm using a pattern and I like using mine for kings and big bows. I just use a color of rabbit strip for the tail and body.
    River Runnin

River Runnin,
    Thanks for referencing the book, I totally forgot what the name of it was. I too use woolhead sculpin patterns, black, brown and olive for bows, all commercially tied. Never used them for kings though, are they pretty effective? Thanks

I have found so far that most fish of any notable size in any species will take after them given a chance. They're in all the fresh water I've seen here that can support fish, sometimes they're the only thing.
    River Runnin

Woolheads will get you down much better then spun (hollow) deer hair. Be sure to hold and sqeeze it a few times to saturate it with water before the first cast. Great pattern in dark brown at the Kenai Lake outlet...

Thanks for the tip, what time of year? I'm usually there beading, never tried a sculpin.
    River Runnin

Default pic request

Since I don't have the book; Alaska Fly Patterns I would like to find out if anyone on the flyfishing forum has a good pic of the Hyde's Sculpin that you would like to post on this thread? I would also like to find a fly tyer who can tie a dozen or so of this pattern for me. IMO this is still the best sculpin pattern going for bows out here in SW Alaska. Thanks alot.