Thread: Looking for some input/opinions

Default Looking for some input/opinions

I usually don't post on this forum, i hang out on the boat & fishing forums. I'm the local guy that builds shrimp pots & sells shrimping gear. Anyway i'm thinking of building some type of storage baskets/containers/cages that could be used on a wheeler to store all the stuff we need to carry on them. I'm going to build them out of heavy wieght(10gauge) vinyl covered wire mesh similar to what i use for the shrimp pots, it will be 1-1/2" square wire and i was thinking i'd make them aprox 24"long x 12"high x 12" wide. I'm thinking of having a open top on them so a guy could bungee down anything that stuck up higher than the sides or i could also put a wire lid/top on it. I don't have a prototype made up yet and thats why i'm asking here for opinions on size,shapes and if you all think there might be interest in such a thing. I'm open to all ideas & would probaly have a couple of prototypes built to show at the Sportsmans shows starting at the end of march. OK lets have it

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Good idea! I'd go wider though. Most ATV racks are in the 36-40" range. 24" would be a little small. You might take a trip down to a couple of local dealers and put a tape measure to a few racks to try to find something that would work for several applications.

Good idea though, you will have to post some pics of your prototypes.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I thought about the 12" width so a guy would still have some additional room on the rack for other things and if you'd need more container room a feller could always put 2 of them side by side. Making it longer would be no problem. I've already ordered some wire in the 12" width so thats what i'll have to stick with for now. Wire should be here in about a week so i'll have to bang one together and post a picutre or two. Thanks for the input Mr. Mud (didn't i meet you at the wasilla show last year? you had Mrs Mud and a little mud with you if i remember correctly???)

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Yep, I remember meeting you there! We may see you again this year .

I had my wide/long confused... The 12x12 would be fine, but the 24 would be a bit short IMO. So...12x12x36-40 would be about right I think.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

maybe i can come up with a adjustable length model!
    Hope to see you again at the show.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have a couple of ideas for you. First off is a double barrel clam gun holder, then 5 gallon bucket holder, and finally a gas can holder. All of them should be able to hang off of the front, rear or side of an atv or meat trailer so as not to take up room on top of the racks. A few years back a made up a couple of prototypes and got a lot of positive comments from folks wanting to purchase, but I simply did not have the time to go into production The clam gun holders were especially popular. I used ¼” round bar and bent to shape, but I am sure the mesh would be even easier if you could find a way to roll it. I am heading out of town for about a week, but if you send me a PM with your e-mail address I will e-mail you some photos if you want.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio