Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Tips for shrimp

  1. #1

    Default Tips for shrimp

    It,s coming soon and I am looking for any tips any one is willing to share on PWS shrimping. Have shrimped for a few years in S.E., however it sounds like a totaly differnt ball game in PWS. Any advice great or small would be greatly appreciated

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    This has been covered a few times, so you may want to do some searches here in the forums for shrimp threads. That being said, maybe talking shrimp will be a nice diversion for a bit. Here are my tips:

    -Use 50% more rope than you think you'll need. We use about 900' of rope and set in water that is 500-600' deep. Just throw on a few heavy sinkers between the buoy and pots and you'll be good to go.

    -Set deep. Shallower than 400' and you'll start getting far fewer shrimp.

    -Keep salmon heads, filleted carcasses, etc. if you're doing other fishing. You can (and should) still use the bait jars, but the extra bait can only help.

    -Cook some right away. Nothing beats shrimp 10 minutes out of the ocean. I'd suggest a little portable grill. Make a mixture of 1 stick of butter, 3 squeezed limes, two shots of tequila, and ample minced garlic. Baste on the shrimp as they grill. Alternately, just boil for 3 minutes and enjoy.

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks Brian, any little bit of info I can get is truley appreciated, knowldege is king so the more the better thaks for the tips. The 50% thing is great to know, never had to deal with that much current or depth in ketchikan. You just saved me 5 pots. thanks again

  4. #4
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    -Cook some right away. Nothing beats shrimp 10 minutes out of the ocean. I'd suggest a little portable grill. Make a mixture of 1 stick of butter, 3 squeezed limes, two shots of tequila, and ample minced garlic. Baste on the shrimp as they grill. Alternately, just boil for 3 minutes and enjoy.
    So, Brian, do you drink the tequila or are they part of the recipe?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  5. #5
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjofugal View Post
    Thanks Brian, any little bit of info I can get is truley appreciated, knowldege is king so the more the better thaks for the tips. The 50% thing is great to know, never had to deal with that much current or depth in ketchikan. You just saved me 5 pots. thanks again
    I suggest 25-30% more buoyline than depth but more never hurts I'm getting in some non-leaded sinking rope soon, its a soft lay that snots down real nice for easy storage & will be real nice for buoylines. Don't worry about losing a few pots, i'm building more every day and have LOTS more wire on its way here. Just kidding about losing pots and Brian has some good advise there.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  6. #6
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    So, Brian, do you drink the tequila or are they part of the recipe?
    Only two shots are needed for the recipe, leaving ample to spare for other uses. Have you ever had a margarita made with glacial ice? Fantastic!



    On a side note, potbuilder's suggestion of 25-30% extra rope is probably more reasonable. Doing the math in my head with how much space is between each pot on our lines, I may be overestimating how much is actually buoy-line as opposed to groundline.

  7. #7
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    On the rope I was 900 feet in shrimp in 600-675. I have my rope broken off in sections of 300 feet. So If I don't need that much i can remove a section.
    About 100 down from the buoy I use one of those clamp with a 3 pound halibut weight. This is to keep the line straight and away from the surface.

    Food. I just use plain old can cat foot. Poke a few holes in it and good to go. Also I use one of them chem pads where water can't be adsorb. I stay it down with herring oil. Holds the herring oil for hours. For a treat I will through a herring in it. The longer your pot soaks the more food you will need.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  8. #8
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Only two shots are needed for the recipe, leaving ample to spare for other uses. Have you ever had a margarita made with glacial ice? Fantastic!
    Nothing like a Patrone margarita served over 10000 year old glacial ice. It is pretty cool to be able to use the same ice for more than one drink.. That stuff sure is dense. Good times are not that far off.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •