Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinks in the Kenai Peninsula

Cool Pinks in the Kenai Peninsula

What rivers have pink salmon in the Kenai Peninsula during the dates of July 24th to July 32st?
    We will be fishing in the following rivers:
    Anchor
    Deep Creek
    Kasilof
    Chakok
    Crooked Creek
    Ninilchik

Well, you might have a hard time finding pinks on July 32nd. Warping the space-time continuum will certainly throw the fishing off a bit.

Default oops

We will be there from July 24th until July 31st.

woops.

Default Pinks

Pinks may be starting to show up on the Kenai during your stay. Resurrection Creek is probably your best bet on the Kenai Peninsula during that time.

I don't know about Seldovia, but there used to be a great run into Tutka Bay (hatchery enhanced at one point) which is very close to Seldovia.

If I'm not mistaken the Tutka hatchery is no longer in production? I have run into some pinks in Deep Creek in that time frame fishing for dollies, but they weren't in targetable numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Well, you might have a hard time finding pinks on July 32nd. Warping the space-time continuum will certainly throw the fishing off a bit.

I just cant stop laughing!!!

I read in the Emergency Orders that you can keep 10 King Salmon larger than 16 inches on July 32nd. One thing is for sure: now we know who made the recalled tide book this year.....

A better question, and more serious, is why would you come all the way up here to catch pink salmon? I mean, yeah the pinks are the best, those kings, reds, and silvers you want to throw back because the meat is just gross. Or, you could give them to me and I will put them in the garden. That is all their good for after all

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    A better question, and more serious, is why would you come all the way up here to catch pink salmon? I mean, yeah the pinks are the best, those kings, reds, and silvers you want to throw back because the meat is just gross. Or, you could give them to me and I will put them in the garden. That is all their good for after all
    Buddy we are the only one's who seem to dislike salt caught pinks. The rest of the world seems to be nuts over them! I actually had family turn away king salmon over pinks! Besdides they are a blast on light tackle.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Buddy we are the only one's who seem to dislike salt caught pinks. The rest of the world seems to be nuts over them! I actually had family turn away king salmon over pinks! Besdides they are a blast on light tackle.
    Rick,

Clearly, pinks are best. To the world out there: PINKS ARE THE BEST Agree with them Rick.... Let them have the pinks. Seriously though, I do like fresh ocean pinks too. They are good table fare.

Two or three times a year I'll make a drive somewhere to specifically target pinks on a flyrod. I don't usually keep any for food (maybe 1-2 if caught in salt), but they're a lot of fun and they remind me of my childhood.

but they're a lot of fun and they remind me of my childhood.
    Amen!

Takes me back about 35 years!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Why pinks?

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post

As a tourist, I think I can give some my thoughts on it and it may reflect the thoughts of other tourists.

1) I dont know anything about combat fishing. If I feel its too much, at least I know that there wont be huge combat for pinks.

2) Im paying "x" amount of dollars on this fishing trip. I better catch some 'effin fish!!

3) A lot of us eat some pretty nasty fish. I used to catch stripers on the east coast and those things are not great. Seriously. Its not that good. But I ate it because I caught it. Now, compare a pink straight from the salt to a striper, and you'll pick the pink any day. I almost forgot about blue fish...sometimes, the meat was greenish...ARRGGHH!

4) Before I moved to the Westcoast, in my mind, a salmon was a salmon was a salmon. Some were big, some were small, all were salmon.

5) Ive never seen thousands of trout, bass, stripers, blues, crappie or catfish in a stream at the same time ready to take a lure. Ive seen blitzes of a few hundred blues & stripers, in the ocean, or in a huge bay, but thousands? So thick you can walk on? Never.

You guys in alaska have it good.

Default I Agree

I agree with SodaBiscuit, a few years back my boss had some family recently visit here from Hawaii and he told me that all he knew was that Salmon was Salmon, and that there was no types of it. He told me that all they were able to get there was canned Pink Salmon. Long story short, they were pretty happy when I brought them a "whole" 30 pound King Salmon from the Chena River to bring back to Hawaii. We really are pretty lucky to be able to fish for the great Pacific Salmon!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

I think that the little creek down by Hope would really make you happy. It is loaded with them. As are a lot of the Valley streams. They bite readily and are fun to catch. I only eat them out of the ocean. I do like fresh ones smoked. Your kids (if you have any) will love fishing for them. My boy does.

Default Collapsed Salmon fishery

Before I moved to the Westcoast, in my mind, a salmon was a salmon was a salmon. Some were big, some were small, all were salmon.
    And for us West Coasters, some kind of salmon is better than none at all, possibly for many years to come.

My brother and I went trolling for halibut today (in San Francisco Bay). It was fun, and we caught fish, but there as none of that giddy sense of anticipation usually associated with the salmon opener.

Quote Originally Posted by meat_purveyor View Post
    And for us West Coasters, some kind of salmon is better than none at all, possibly for many years to come.

My brother and I went trolling for halibut today (in San Francisco Bay). It was fun, and we caught fish, but there as none of that giddy sense of anticipation usually associated with the salmon opener.
    You're in San Fran? Im going to kayak the san pablo reservoir tomorrow!
    HA! small world.
    When are you heading up to Alaska? You're getting the job as the cook right?

You're in San Fran? Im going to kayak the san pablo reservoir tomorrow!
    HA! small world.
    When are you heading up to Alaska? You're getting the job as the cook right?
    Temescal in Dirty Oaktown, actually. Arrive May 1st. Maybe we can get together and drown some lures if you find yourself in the Ninilchik area. The Reservoir is a gem, isn't it? Takes San Pablo Dam Road through ugly old El Sobrante and suddenly it's just plain beautiful.

Default pinks?

i rember hitting the pinks last year in main bay just after the reds were gone. had some friends from new york up and they are not use to salmon fishing in the summer. needless to say that if cooked fresh from the salt and correctly that they can taste pretty good and after catching so many of them i out my rod away and let them fish there while i cooked lunch. they must have caught a hundred fish before there arms got tired.but the lunch was excellent as they were very fresh. i only ever ate them the one time but if nothing else is around they can put a smile on most peoples faces, until they get tired. there bellies work very well for butt. and i think that that is there best use, just to make people smile.

Default Pink presents...

My ploy was to catch a chromer hen and take her eggs. Those I consumed myself as salmon roe caviar. I would then take the flesh and drop into any RV campground and simply call out "free fillets" as I drove around before supper hour.

I can still remember the smiles of the tourists when I handed their dinner to them...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast