Thread: Trailer Maintenence

Question Trailer Maintenence

Anybody have and good or bad expiriences with Trailercraft in Anchorage? I just had my trailer re-balanced and tuned up and the price seems a little high. I had the axles moved, bearings replaced, surge coupler replaced, etc etc. Parts came to about 900 with labor around 20.5 hours (at $95 per hour). Does this seem high, or do I get what I'm going to pay for? Don't get me wrong, I'm not bad mouthing, they have been very helpful, I'm just looking for a little reassurment.

I'm confused, was the total bill around $2800 for parts and labor or $900 for both? Something isn't adding up the way I read it.

Is the trailer a single axle? Did they have to cut the old mounts for the springs and relocate them? Is the trailer factory built or homemade?

I had a trailer that was homebuilt many years ago. I decided it would be a good idea to replace the bearings and seals. To my surprise I found that the axle, bearings etc were taken from...well who knows. The bearings alone would have cost me over $400 and the seals were packing. It was much cheaper for me to remove the old axle stubs and replace them, the bearings and seals with those designed for trailers.
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 03-06-2008 at 19:17. Reason: addition

Thumbs up

I had all four break backing plates replaced, bearings all repacked, break controller checked, two drums replaced, and some other stuff, bill was $1056. This was in the middle of the summer, they were fast, kept my boat safe in their yard, were very friendly, and professional. They are in my opionion, the top pros when it comes to this stuff.

Default Thanks

I did hear good things about them, but was just a little sticker shocked. Thanks for the posts

Although they definitely know their stuff, it seems high to me.

My only experience with Trailercraft was 4 or 5 years ago during the first part of the season. We had a bearing go out on one tire of our doulbe axle trailer. Luckily we were still in town, so we just popped the tire off and drove carefully to Trailercraft (as they had been highly recommended). We dropped the boat and trailer off and were told they were behind and would get to it in two weeks or so. Ok, no biggie. Glad they were upfront about it and let us know before hand. Two days later, while talking with a colleague; after explaining what had ruined our weekend, he gave me another guys name (and for the life of me I can't remember it). To make a long story short, I called up this other guy and he said that it would be no problem and that we would have it back before the next weekend. Gave me a cost estimate $200-300 and said to bring it over. Called up Trailercraft, told them we would be over after work (5:30) and that we were going to take it to another gentleman so that we could take it out the next weekend. Low and behold, when we showed up, they had the trailer fixed and a $475 bill to go with it. Claimed they had a break in their schedule and squeezed ours in.

End result was ultimately the same I guess (fixed boat trailer), however we left feeling we were a little overcharged.

Anyway those are just my thoughts ... worth about $.02

-- Gambler

Default spindel question

ok here is a question my trailer has tortion axels the seals have worn groves into the spindel so they are letting in water the spindels are welded solid I would have to replace the whole axle. I was told I could put a sleeve on the spindels who would sell these sleeves I tryed 6 rublys they did not know what I was talking abought. do they make these sleeves? or do I need whole new axels?

Seawolf:

This may or may not be what your looking for.
    Replacement torsion axle spindle. Part# 80043 or part # 80062.

www.championtrailers.com

I for got to mention. A bearing store gave me the wrong bearing, I had to replace 1-hub,1-brake,2-spindel and make a new axel. It has cost me $250.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 03-08-2008 at 09:29. Reason: new information

Default Seawolf

Those elusive sleeves you speak of are available at most Napa stores or bearing supply places. One type is made my SKS CR and the brand name is Speedi-Sleeve. The part number you require will depend upon the diameter of the spindle seal wear surface or the parts-pro behind the counter can backtrack using part number of your wheel seal. Just follow the directions included with the Speedi-Sleeve and you are back on the road.

Default thank you

thanks for the information I'll give the speedy sleeve a try as my axals have the spindel a permenent part of the axal. Wish it was replacable guess the manufacturer decided to place solid welded one on this unit. thanks again guys for the info

Just because it a solid weld does not mean it not repairable. It may be possible to cut the weld and replace the spindle. What is the most cost effect?

I had to build new axles for my trailer last year. They turned out great and about 400$ cheaper to do myself than to buy the same axle from Trailercraft. Took me about 4 hours from start to finish with new everything.