Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: duck calls

Default duck calls

What calls are most of you using?
    What would you recommend for a novice trying to learn to call?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have some sort of tone deafness so most calls sound horrible unless someone else is working them.

I cannot tollerate the cheap plastic calls no matter who blows them. They are nothing but kazoos.

I have been able to get decent sound out of the low end RNT hunter calls that come with their CD sets, but the hail call and other loud calls sound horrible in this thing. The feed chuckle and lonesome hen calls sound great though.

I now have a custom made call from an fella in Iowa. I sent him the wood and he turned it for me. It has low back pressure so it is almost too easy to blow. It does not perform hail calls well, but all other calls sound really good. I have taken it to a duck park and was able to join the flock with my feed chuckle and soft quacks.

If you want to obtain some decent instruction, then I recommend the RNT set of CDs. They spend a lot of time on the Arkansas style of calling, but the how to aspect is well worth it.

Thanks. Same here on the hail call.... When I try it, it sounds like a dying duck. I can make some calls. IE feeding and alone duck call (quack)
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Faulks WA33

Try it. They are inexpensive and to me sound pretty good. They are easy to blow and I can get a lot of sound out of them. They chuckle easily. A great call to play with, and if you lose it you don't have to call the insurance company to replace it.
    Still can't find my old Iverson that a certain nameless son seems to have missplaced, but it did not call this well. I also have a wood/acrylic Hunter Specialty call that is tough to chuckle. This call does not sound good to me while I call, but if I have somebody else blow it when I am a distance away it sounds good.

I really like the Haydel DR-85. It is a low priced double reed call, that sounds great. I don't leave home with out it during duck season.

Also I like the Buck Gardner Double Nasty II. It is another low priced call, but sounds really good.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

RNT mvp, Big guys best widowmaker

I got an Echoe call for Christmas I realy like it sounds great

Thumbs up Calls

I blow a Zink XR-2 for ducks and a Zink LM-1 for geese. Both are the best calls I have ever blown thus far, although the XR-2 did take a little getting used to, as did learning how to blow the short reed.

A good caller can blow a low priced call as well as a high priced call if'n you ask me. I about puked when i figured I was going to upgrade my calls that I have had and used (successfully I might add) from 20 - 25 years ago. I am NOT paying a hundy + for a reed and tube - sorry

So I bought one I think is called the Bill Collector or Widowmaker or something like that - excellent High baller and chuckler but sounds like a Cat getting his nuts crunched on the the Grunt. Decent call and worth the "jackson" i paid

Keep yer old quackers boys - they sure dont make em cheap and useful like that anymore.

Default Call me, I gotta hear that cat.

Cutter, thanks. That is quite the picture you painted. Pretty amazing what a call can cost. Even on E-bay. And for paying so much, nobody will let you dance with it before you buy it, and once you do, it's yours forever. No free test rides. I keep forgetting, some folks got kooties.
    I have a cheapo DU RNT plastic call that makes my dog roll over and howl. No foolin. Sent it back once to Rusty B. but came back same same. Not worth the mailing again. I'll keep it as a flaring tool.
    My son got a Quack Master Egg Layer Feather Plucker or some darn thing from a friend of the family for his 18th b-day. Cost so much I'd be afraid to lose it. And nope, can't say it calls a bit better than the cheapo Faulks.

I just ordered the Haydel DR-85 and the double nasty. Thanks all
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

What is the difference between a single and double reed?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

A double reed will be much raspier. The single reeds produce higher tones. I prefer a double reed over single any day of the week. The double takes a little more pressure to blow. I use Duck Commander all the way. I see you just ordered a call but get an original DC also, you can't go wrong for the price. As for a calling CD I first bought the RNT 2 disc CD set and tried to follow them but if you want to learn to call the easy way and sound like a real duck buy the Duck Commanders Duckology 101 CD it will save you time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    What is the difference between a single and double reed?
    A double reed is much easier to blow then a single reed, they takes less practice, less back pressure, less likely to squeal the call and less hand manipulation.
    But one is not better than another. I carry one of each, a acrylic Foiles and a wooden single reed. Some days the single reed does the trick and on others then double reed is the best.

Most of my calls are hand made and tuned out of wood which I prefer for tuning reasons and they don't tend to freeze like the acrylics

Cool thanks for clearing that up for me
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

What do you guys think about the Primos High Roller Duck Call??
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I prefer a single reed duck call over a double. I have never found it harder to learn between the two.

The problem with duck/geese calls is that it seem that you will buy quite a few of them before you feel comfortable between blowing and producing a sound you and ducks/geese can be happy with.

If you really want to get better with you calling style practice in you car to and from work. Otherwise you will drive your wife nuts.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

I practice in my car too, when I drive to and from work. I get some funny looks going down the freeway, but who cares. It is a great place to practice.

And I agree 100 percent that you will buy a lot of calls, until you find the one. I probably have close to 20 calls, and have only found 4 that I use on a regular basis. It would be nice if you could test out duck/goose calls before you buy them. Especially the 100 plus dollar ones.

I use the Haydel MP-90 for my pintail call. I just make the flutter sound with my tongue. Plus the MP-90 is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I practice in my car too, when I drive to and from work. I get some funny looks going down the freeway, but who cares. It is a great place to practice.
    I do the same. I have a tape I listen to. The look people give you when they see you blowing into the duck call is funny.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast