Thread: White Mountain/Steese Caribou

Default White Mountain/Steese Caribou

Anyone had any success or sightings this winter? I heard a report of some being spotted right off the Steese towards Central, but not sure how reliable the source is.

Default steese bou

Check with fish and game any caribou on highway more than likely are 40 mile herd, not white mountain herd.

Thats correct . I took pictures of a few of them .I would see them between 12 Mile Summitt and Eagle Summitt . The Bulls were still carrying their antlers ( january ).

Well, anything north of the steese and west of preacher/american is legal game....how is one to know the herd?? Where exactly are the summits you named??

Default caribou

The summits named above are east of preacher american creek boundry I would talk to fish and game in fairbanks about boundries, and areas where white mountain herd can be found. They have some good info on that herd. I know a few guys that hunt them in the fall and they go a long ways off the road to find them. Good luck

Thanks for the tips. I have no idea where to look yet. Maybe I'll just drive around at random off the road and hope for the best.

I thought that hunt was closed by emergency order weeks ago?

I called the fairbanks F&G a week or two ago and they said that hunt probably wont close by emergency order due to not many animals typically taken there. It is supposed to be a hard hunt and they said it is better off to go there for just a trip and to get a tag just in case. I decided I'll probably head to haul rd instead.