Thread: Where to launch in Winter ?

Default Where to launch in Winter ?

I received my new boat in January. It is killing me waiting for Spring to get here to test it out. Where can you safely launch in the Winter, where you don't have to worry about icy ramps that you can't get up or down safely?

The new boat is much larger and heavier than my old boat, and I am afraid it may "slide away" from me backing it in, or that I will spin out and not be able to pull it back out of the water.

Any tips, pointers or ideas?

Thanks...AkBillyBow

you looking for rivers or salt water?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thumbs down

Hmmm??? New boat, Alaska weather, possible black ice, my vote is wait. I have seen trucks going in, even with gravel on the ice, boats are heavy, ramps are steep, winter is long...

You can launch at Homer
    Take some tire chains along just in case it gets icey

I don't know if they reopened the closer launch. If not you would have to use the one at the end of the marina.

As for Homer I know they were launching off the dirt road fews weeks ago. I haven't heard if the harbor is free of ice yet.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I know the feeling as i have'nt used mine since 2006 due to being deployed for 15 months. I am gonna wait for a few weeks or another month, and hope the weather does cooperate to be on the safe side. This waiting stuff sure takes a toll on a body.
    Would sure like to get out on the rivers and hit the salt as well. Just not worth the what if's... if you know what i mean, to me.

Sorry i did'nt have a good answer for your question, hope you find one.

I am curious about salt water...sorry I left that out. My boat is not quite ready to go too far out yet, as I am still installing all the electronics. I was kind of hoping to put it in the water just to test the engines and see if it floats!!

I guess the best answer is to wait. I kind of knew that, just thought maybe someone had a sweet spot that was not too effected by the tidal change, and not too steep. I guess that doesn't exist in Alaska, in the salt water!!

I'll need to wait and be patient. This is very hard with a new boat sitting in the driveway that you haven't used yet.

Thanks for the replies,

AkBillyBow

I was wondering if anyone knew about another launching ramp in Whittier, I heard rumors of another ramp last year but was told that there is no dock so your boat needs to be able to pick up the other people on shore.??

Default Guys, whatever happened to:

Tire chains? I carry these in my truck for most of the year. Sure, they'll rust out quickly if I put them in the salt, but it beats the heck out of slipping helplessly down the ramp. I also run studded Hakka's...

"sorry about your pavement, dude!"

Smile Hard to wait.

The middle two boat ramps are open in Homer. Harbor has a channel out to sea you can easily navigate out of the harbor in. The small boat slips are still heavily iced in. Yesterday I started uncovering my 26ft Hewes in hopes to launch next week, but it snowed this am and I'm starting to agree that I might be better off waiting a couple of weeks. Good luck with the new boat. Roger from Anchor Point.

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Tire chains? I carry these in my truck for most of the year. Sure, they'll rust out quickly if I put them in the salt, but it beats the heck out of slipping helplessly down the ramp. I also run studded Hakka's...

"sorry about your pavement, dude!"
    I run tripple the amount of studs and did it with the old hewescraft without issues in Whittier, but backing down 14000 pounds, even with chains, sure is intimidating especially on an icy ramp! I think I will wait to splash the new boat until the ramp is ice free.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I think I will wait to splash the new boat until the ramp is ice free.
    Coward! The boat will float, and the truck's insured, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    Coward! The boat will float, and the truck's insured, right?
    How about we use your excursion, Dan?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Who is crazy enough to risk driving their stuff down the road this time of year? I couldn't even imagine getting mine out of the neighborhood or even the driveway right now. Oh sure I'm out there with a torch and snowblower clearing the way everyday, but still I wait.

Default Your bath tub

Hey billy ray

Get a replica of your boat and sit in your bath tub.

momo.

Default Im crazy!!!

Drove my new boat up and down the ramp in Whittier most of the winter. Pulled into the harbor after the first huge snowfall of the year and had at least 18 inches of wet and heavy snow on the ramp, but after shoveling a path for 3 hours I managed to get up without chains. That was the worst ever. Started using chains after that. Was worse when it rained after a snowfall, nothing but a sheet of thick ice. Also pulled out during the lowest tide I ever seen in Whitter, I was down to gravel. That was tricky, but I got out. Last time out was Mid January. One thing I learned in Whittier is get to know the people at the harbor office and file a float plan, theyve saved my butt a few times with plowing and sanding the ramps on the weekends, something that isnt normally done in the winter.

I have been down to the Seward launch many times in the winter and it is in really good shape most of the time. Call the Harbor Master's Office and they will tell you. Let us know what they say, as I am getting the bug too.