Thread: Grouse, Ptarmigan, on Chena Hot Springs RD

Default Grouse, Ptarmigan, on Chena Hot Springs RD

I have a friend who is curious about bird hunting of Chean Hot Springs. Does anyone know if it will be a successful venture for him and his dog. I have been a few times in the fall, but never in the winter....so I am no help to him.

He can find them both on CHSR but can only shoot grouse now since ptarmigan are out of season.....

thanks, i'll let him know.

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    He can find them both on CHSR but can only shoot grouse now since ptarmigan are out of season.....
    Have to look at the regs, but I'm pretty sure both are still open.

Lab man is correct...I am sorry for the wrong info, I didnt continue to read the rest of the reg. Ptarmigan closed Feb 28th for the 20 bird limit but is still open with a 5 bird limit in unit 20. Thanks for making me look back at the reg....

Thanks for the updates. I'll be sure to pass them on to my friend. Hopefully he's successful.....

Quote Originally Posted by wolfrun01 View Post
    Thanks for the updates. I'll be sure to pass them on to my friend. Hopefully he's successful.....
    If he is successful, let us know. Don't tell us where, but tell us about habitat and what the birds appear to be eating ...I haven't seen grouse #1 this winter. The last time that I saw one in the snow, it was a ruffie and it was eating high-bush cranberries in a birch forest.

Brian