Thread: Hunting around North Pole

Default Hunting around North Pole

I was wondering if anyone can confirm that there are Lynx, Wolverines, and other smaller game in the vicinity of North Pole or Nenana...

Default yes and no

I grew up in NP, so I can confirm that I have seen Lynx, fox, rabbits, and wolf in that area. I haven't been back to my old stomping grounds for some time now, but the area on Lawrence Road just before the flood control project used to be pretty good, either side of the road, although there might be more houses now on the left side where the apartment complex is. The old Bombing range, known as the Dyke, accessible from the old highway also has quite a few critters running around with easy access. I've never seen a Wolverine in NP.

predators confirmed

Thanks, I've got the hunting itch right now. Anything you all know of that's open or likely to be successful this time of year?? I asked about Caribou in the White Mountains/Steese HWY and no one assisted, oh well....

Default Read the regs....no really, read the regs

Wolf -
    The Alaska regulations concerning hunting in Alaska are long and often confusing. Your best bet would to put a copy in your bathroom and read them - often.

Good luck
    Snowman

Yeah, they can be. I've been up here for years now....but just started hunting. After becoming fluent in regulations(thanks to fishing every summer) I can follow them most of the time. I know lynx is done up here, but I know wolves and woverines are still open.

Everything ended on Feb. 28th except for wolves and coyotes.

As you can tell I'm new to the whole hunting game. It took being up here for 5 years for me to get my start. Any advice on bagging a wolf?? Like ways to bring 'em in....?

Wolf hunting is something that I have a growing intrest in. I would reccommend the book "Hunting the Hunters" it has a very good chapter on wolf hunting from a snowmachine. The challenge with wolves over other predators is that they have a huge range and travel great distances which makes setting up and calling a much less successful venture unless you know you have wolves there to call too. There is several wolf predator control redions in reasonable driveing distance to your location though and it would make a great excuse for just getting out in the woods.

I'll have to check out that book, thanks. I might go to Lawrence Road or the old Dyke bombing range this weekend.....

Default Red Fox

Quote Originally Posted by AK Archer View Post
    Everything ended on Feb. 28th except for wolves and coyotes.

Fox is open on a hunting lic until March 15.

Have seen four Lynx, within the last week. All within five miles of my house here in North Pole. Missed a wolf last Tuesday, it jumped out of the brush ahead of me, about 25 yards. I got off the snow machine and slipped on ice and fell. By the time I got up and the rifle out it was about 250 yards away. I did a rabbit squeal and it stopped giving me a perfect broadside shot. I held high on the shoulder, intending to break the shoulder, so it would not run any farther. Overlooked the fact it was now a down hill shot. The bullet hit just over it's back in the bank behind the wolf. That wolf took off like it had an afterburner. No chance for a second shot. My partner tried a running shot at one later that day, no luck there either.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default Old Dyke??

Can anybody be a bit more specific on what your referring to as "The Old Dyke Bombing Range"? I've asked a bunch of ol' timers around here and none of them seem to know what or where that is... I'm also new at the preditor hunting end of things, going to try my luck for the first time maybe this weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated!