Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Rod for King salmon

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    98

    Default Rod for King salmon

    I'm coming to Alaska mid June to Hunt black bear in the Susitna area.
    I'll be fishing for Halibut out of Whittier first. No promlem there. My questioin is what rod -reel do I want to fish for Kings upstream in the Susitna area. The outfiter said "medium action" . That's a wide range of rods. Can some one tell me #s of brand name reels to use. I can then match that to rods. Since I'm flying a two piece is a must. Any sugestions for lures are also welcome. I'll be using UL for Dolly Varden, Char and catch & release rainbows.
    Hhounds from Maryland (Land of Pleasent Living)

  2. #2

    Default King tackle - Alaska Fish Magazine March 08

    If you don't fish Kings too often then I would use the outfitter's gear. On the other hand if you want to buy your own rod decide how much you want to spend. Are you fishing from the bank or a boat? Do you prefer a spinning or bait casting reel? Rod lengths typically range from 7 - 10ft depending on the method used, and can cost anywhere between $50 - $350 dollars. Casting reels should be capable of holding 20-30lb mono, and range in price between $50 -$500 dollars. Convention reels can be a little more diffucult to cast if your not use to them. Spinning reels are nice for casting lighter baits.

    I personally use a Lamiglas Certifed Pro 8'9" (10-20lb)spinning rod matched with a Phlueger Supreme spinning reel loaded with 40lb Power Pro spectra line for bobber and egg (bank) fishing. I also use a Loomis GL3 1025 back bouning rod 8'6" (10-25lb) matched to a Shimano Curado
    301 DSV reel loaded with 25lb P-line for drift fishing and back bouncing bait from a boat. These set-ups cost $300 & $550 dollars.

    PS - There is an excellent article on King Salmon fishing in the March Alaska Fishing magazine by J.D. Richey.
    .
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 03-06-2008 at 13:09. Reason: spelling

  3. #3
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    I like for kings up in the rivers is the ugly stick. Never had a problem. I have a med//hvy rod.

    What part of Maryland you are from? I grew up in Silver Spring. I have a house still in Ocean City.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  4. #4
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    I use a medium fast action baitcaster rated for 14-20 pounds and use 14 pound test if I'm ever not fly fishing.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    98

    Default

    I'm half way between Frederick & Baltimore. Do you get to O.C. to fish? I'm getting ready for our "rock" season ( striped Bass). Not like when I was a kid but still fun in the Chesapeake .
    Hhounds

  6. #6
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    I still go there. I haven't been in a while. growing up Striper's were off limits its. I left in 94. Did great on flounder and seatrout. off shore Tuna and sharks.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    376

    Default

    I use a one piece 9' ugly stick (but they make 2 piece) with an abu garcia bait casting reel which i fish every lure with loaded with 80lb. fire line cause i use it in salt water and at the derbys and will be damed if i lose a fish cause my line snapped

  8. #8
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    I use a one piece 9' ugly stick (but they make 2 piece) with an abu garcia bait casting reel which i fish every lure with loaded with 80lb. fire line cause i use it in salt water and at the derbys and will be damed if i lose a fish cause my line snapped
    Same set up but lighter on the test. I use 40#
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  9. #9
    Member RMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,736

    Default Lamiglas Kenai Special

    8.5' baitcaster with a spidercast reel and 65# spiderwire stealth.

    I also just bought an Eagle Claw Bigwater combo that I will put 80# tufline on for backtrolling K15 and K16 Kwikfish. This should be fun. Gotta change it up, getting tired of catching kings on the same gear year after year. Plus it can be my Halibut pole too. P'oed me that the receipt said "tourist special" on it though!!!

    My wife uses a seven foot ugly stick spinning rod with 25# line.

    One son (8) uses a diawa 8' spinning rod with 30# mustad ultra line.

    Other son (7) uses my old Kenai Special baitcaster with an Abu Garcia 6500C4 and 30# Trilene XT.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

  10. #10
    Member CanCanCase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bandon, OR
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I use a medium fast action baitcaster rated for 14-20 pounds and use 14 pound test if I'm ever not fly fishing.
    I was just gonna say, my 6wt Sage flyrod is about my favorite for Kings...

    Trolling, I've had the best luck with an Ugly Stick Tiger rod and Penn 320GT reels. Spool em' up with 20 or 25# mono and you're ready for anything from dollies and pinks to big kings and small butts... (this is actually my favorite setup for lings in late May too!)

    River's probably different though...

    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    If you don't fish Kings too often then I would use the outfitter's gear. On the other hand if you want to buy your own rod decide how much you want to spend. Are you fishing from the bank or a boat? Do you prefer a spinning or bait casting reel? Rod lengths typically range from 7 - 10ft depending on the method used, and can cost anywhere between $50 - $350 dollars. Casting reels should be capable of holding 20-30lb mono, and range in price between $50 -$500 dollars. Convention reels can be a little more diffucult to cast if your not use to them. Spinning reels are nice for casting lighter baits.

    I personally use a Lamiglas Certifed Pro 8'9" (10-20lb)spinning rod matched with a Phlueger Supreme spinning reel loaded with 40lb Power Pro spectra line for bobber and egg (bank) fishing. I also use a Loomis GL3 1025 back bouning rod 8'6" (10-25lb) matched to a Shimano Curado
    301 DSV reel loaded with 25lb P-line for drift fishing and back bouncing bait from a boat. These set-ups cost $300 & $550 dollars.

    PS - There is an excellent article on King Salmon fishing in the March Alaska Fishing magazine by J.D. Richey.
    .
    Do you mean Fish Alaska magazine?

  12. #12

    Default

    Yes, the March issue of Fish Alaska Magazine has a good article on King salmon fishing.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hhounds View Post
    Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
    Thanks Steelie guy. I'll try to get that and read it.
    Hhounds

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •