Thread: King Salmon Rod

Default King Salmon Rod

I'm coming to AK. mid June to hunt blk bear in the Susitna area. I'll also be fishing. What size rod and reel do I want to use for kings (I guess I'll be in upper reaches). The outfitter said 20-30 # & test medium action rod. There is a WIDE selection of "medium" rods. If some one could give me a number of a brand name reel that's right I can match a rod to it. Since I'm flying it needs to be a two piece. Any lure selection hints would also be helpfull. I'll use ultra light for Dolly varden ,Grayling, and Catch & release Bows.
    I'll be fishing out of Whittier before the hunt but the charter will take care of me there.
    Hhounds-- From Maryland
    I'm coming to AK. mid June to hunt blk bear in the Susitna area. I'll also be fishing. What size rod and reel do I want to use for kings (I guess I'll be in upper reaches). The outfitter said 20-30 # & test medium action rod. There is a WIDE selection of "medium" rods. If some one could give me a number of a brand name reel that's right I can match a rod to it. Since I'm flying it needs to be a two piece. Any lure selection hints would also be helpfull. I'll use ultra light for Dolly varden ,Grayling, and Catch & release Bows.
    I'll be fishing out of Whittier before the hunt but the charter will take care of me there.
    Hhuonds

see my post in your other thread, a crankbait rod is what you want...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Two-piece miracle...

Without a doubt, it is an Ugly Stick by Shakespeare...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Thumbs up

Ugly stick... you cant go wrong