Thread: Varminting AR15

Palmer, AK

Default Varminting AR15

I have been thinking about going with the bushmaster varmint AR and was wondering if anyone had used them in extreme cold (-15* to -50*) and how they performed?

Default AR's

There was some discussion of cold weather shooting here

I'm sure there is more elsewhere on this site or

However, I have found that dino-based lubes will freeze up the action at about -20. I have tried one synthetic that went to -30. I have another on order right now. Most likely no lube is best for low temp functionality. This is on the ar platform.

interior Alaska

Default cold lube

I'm new to this forum and have mostly been reading what others have been posting and staying quiet. I do have an Idea for you on this one though. I have been using the Remington Dry lube on my autos in the winter. I don't think it's the greatest stuff for warm weather use, But is better than going dry in the cold. I have used it on 3 or 4 different guns and they have not had any cold weather problems at all.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Keep them dry. Or use Armadillo from Novum Solutions.

North Pole

I shoot a Mini-14. During the winter I keep it dry, no lube. Works fine so far, haven't shot it past -35 either.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"