Thread: Smith and Wesson Revolver Problem

Default Smith and Wesson Revolver Problem

I have a Smith and Wesson 629 .44 mag revolver that I'm having problems with. I took it out of its case to get it ready to take to the range and I open and close the cylinder no problems. I get the range and I have a difficult time getting the cylinder to open. I finally get it opened, and now it won't close right and it sounds like something is rattleing around inside the frame now.

The gun is less than a year old and I was wondering if anybody has heard of or had this problem before, or have any ideas of what the problem might be.

I would say contact S&W. They fix it on their own dime and shipping both ways. They do have excellent customer service.

Halt! Don't send it in yet! Smith & Wessons are somewhat known for their extractor rods loosening up. With the cylinder out, hold the cylinder with one hand while you turn the extractor rod counter-clockwise with the other. Examine the inside of the frame in the back and you'll likely see light scuff marks where the star wheel was sliding across the frame. SOME brand new S&W revolvers even ship with a loose extractor rod!

In any case, if this is your problem then the fix is easy and S&W ordains it (and what they'll do if you send it in):

Grasp the cylinder with one hand while turning the extractor rod clockwise until the starwheel comes off, i.e. disassemble it. The extractor rod likely stays in the cylinder (most do) and only the starwheel and inside components come off. The extractor rod screws into the hollow starwheel shaft. Inside that shaft, there's a little plunger that sticks out through the center of the starwheel and a spring. Just keep an eye on how it slips together ...2 components are too confusing! It's just a spring loaded plunger. Anyway, the FIX is to a) disassemble as described, b) degrease the inside of the starwheel shaft and inside the cylinder (spray brake cleaner and let it dry well), then c) reassemble with a drop of blue (serviceable) thread locker on the threads. Once the extractor rod and starwheel are reassembled with the threadlocker, hold the cylinder with one hand, wrap a soft cloth around the knurled end of the extractor rod, then use pliers to ever-so-gently snug the extractor rod a hair tighter without bending it. Just 'snug' it and don't over-tighten it. Let the gun sit for a day so the thread locker cures up then re-lube and go shooting.

This whole fix takes all of about 5 minutes of actual work and is easy. You'll never have the problem again after this and it's not worth sending a gun in for.

Brian

Scroll down to "Need a Smith pistolsmith in Anchorage".

You problem is as I described there or the screw that holds in the thumb latch is loose. That would produce the rattle in the frame.
    Possible the left hand threaded knurled rod of the ejector is loose.

This is a common ailment with S&W and heavy loads.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I agree with Brian. I have a 629, and have had that same problem. Just make sure the ejector rod is screwed all the way in. After some use, it can loosen up.