Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK Wildlife official cited in illegal moose kill

Default AK Wildlife official cited in illegal moose kill

Anybody else see this ? I have not seen anything posted.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/327641.html
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Imagine that a public figure gets a realistic sentence but a guide that makes a mistake or who's client makes a mistake loses his license. Local people make a mistake and they generally get worse sentences! Personally if you pack it in and give it to fish and feathers it should be cut a dried a reasonable fine and loss of the meat destruction of trophy value etc. At least then we wouldn't find so many rotting sub-legals in the field!

I read the article again ,They said he went hunting on Jan.5 ,And the season was closed on Dec 14 , And he said he did not know one month later it was closed in a unit by the road ? And he was in charge of setting dates and seasons. No wonder the BOG is all screwed up they don't even know what the seasons are.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I read the article again ,They said he went hunting on Jan.5 ,And the season was closed on Dec 14 , And he said he did not know one month later it was closed in a unit by the road ? And he was in charge of setting dates and seasons. No wonder the BOG is all screwed up they don't even know what the seasons are.
    Well, I think Alaska is the only state that has a minimum 5,000 different hunting seasons in the hunting regulations.

Mark

Mike was also chairman of the Board of Game for a term or two.

Got caught in an emergency closure.

Goes to show how complicated the regs can be.

An honorable man, he turned himself in and made no excuses.

Default Similar cases

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Imagine that a public figure gets a realistic sentence but a guide that makes a mistake or who's client makes a mistake loses his license. Local people make a mistake and they generally get worse sentences! Personally if you pack it in and give it to fish and feathers it should be cut a dried a reasonable fine and loss of the meat destruction of trophy value etc. At least then we wouldn't find so many rotting sub-legals in the field!
    I have gotten involved in discussions over this exact topic a few times over the last week, with people saying that "if it were me.....I would never get off so easy..." or something along those lines. What I would like to hear is some instances where the circumstances were similar yet the consequenses were noticeably different. It may very well be the case of favortism, but I have to see fairly clear evidence before I make those kind of claims.

I don't think that this is related to favoratism, but last fall didn't two guys shoot a moose that had a broken antler or something that made it illegal? I think that they owned up to doing it and because of their owning up to it ended up getting kind of hosed on the deal?

Just like any other public figure that serves the public, they can get away with just about anything illegal. Imagine how many jail guards and law enforcement workers get away with a DUI and possibly other criminal offenses just because. . .
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Unhappy Please don't...

Marv1-

I'm not replying to your insult to start anything...Rather, I ask you not to assume such things occur within the ranks of Correction and Police Officers. I hear it all too often how we (Public Officials) can get away with things, i.e. DUI. I'd EXPECT to go to jail if I made such a poor choice.

He didn't get away with anything. The hunt was closed by emergency order, how many here routinely check the web site for the EOs? HE turned himself in and recieved the same as most in his situations receive, a $500.00 fine, just check the trooper web sites for this type situation.

Poop happens guys. I find nothing wrong with what Mr. Fleagle did after discovering his MISTAKE. I also feel that his fine was appropriate under the circumstances. If I were a judge I'd never suspend hunting privileges either for an honest mistake that was turned in on himself. Cut the man some slack and only type what you have the stupidity or gonads to say to a person's face on the forum.
    I have seen advice given on this very forum that was erroneous more than one time as I'm sure most of you have that frequent this forum. Usually someone will chime in and say that they suspect that is wrong advice and to check further.
    I shot an animal (not a moose) one time that was on the wrong side of the road and therefore illegal. I ate it and said nothing to the troopers and I would deny it today if asked for the particulars and I always adhere to the game laws but I made an honest mistake. I guess that means I'm not as good of a man as Mr. Fleagle. I consider myself a very honest person but like most of us reading this I didn't want to suffer the consequences of my mistake so I kept quiet about it.

Default ADN Comments

Pretty much an insignificant story that should have stayed buried in the blotter report. Lot's of assumptions being made about a fellow hunter that seem to be completely unfounded. What's his day job got to do with his time off in the field?

Just like the Kodiak Grizzly story a couple months back, this story is really logging up some inflammatory comments at ADN. Quite obvious that ADN doesn't police their comments boards at all. There is even a posting in those comments calling for the murder of police and wildlife officials. What the heck? You would think something like that might be removed, yes?

From ADN's rather liberal user agreement:

Community Publishing Guidelines

Adn.com encourages a free and open exchange of ideas in a climate of mutual respect. Adn.com welcomes your participation in our online discussion and comment posting systems. We hope these forums offer you the chance to interact with our writers and each other.

In order to keep these forums enjoyable and interesting for all of our users, we ask simply that you follow these minimal rules. These rules are only a minimum; in addition to complying with these rules, we ask that you also exercise common sense and generally be considerate toward your fellow users. By participating either in our online discussion and comment posting systems, you are consenting to these rules.

1. You agree that you are fully responsible for the content that you post. You will not knowingly post content that violates the copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property right of any third party and that you will remove the same should you discover that you have violated this provision. Likewise, you may not post content that is libelous, defamatory, obscene, abusive, that violates a third party's right to privacy, that otherwise violates any applicable local, state, national or international law, or that is otherwise inappropriate. You will indemnify Anchorage Daily News, its employees, agents, and affiliates from any and all claims and/or damages (including but not limited to reasonable attorneys' fees) resulting from any claim brought by any third party relating to content you have posted.

2. You understand and agree that adn.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties. You further understand that adn.com does not and cannot review all content prior to its posting. Keep in mind that more than likely you will read a post before adn.com staff. Nevertheless, adn.com may monitor the discussion forums as it chooses and reserves the right (but assumes no obligations) to remove, edit or otherwise alter content that it deems inappropriate for any reason without obtaining anyone’s consent. We further reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to remove a user's privilege to post content in our discussion forums.

3. You understand and agree that these discussion forums are to be used only for noncommercial purposes. You may not solicit funds, promote commercial entities or otherwise engage in non-commercial activity in our discussion forums.

4. The discussion forums are for text only. Use of graphics and audio is not appropriate.

5. You acknowledge and agree that you use and/or rely on any information obtained through the discussion forums at your own risk. Adn.com is not in any manner endorsing the content of the discussion groups and cannot and will not vouch for its reliability.

6. For any content that you post, you hereby grant to adn.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, exclusive and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part, world-wide and to incorporate it in other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Wink Concur

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiJay View Post
    Marv1-

I'm not replying to your insult to start anything...Rather, I ask you not to assume such things occur within the ranks of Correction and Police Officers. I hear it all too often how we (Public Officials) can get away with things, i.e. DUI. I'd EXPECT to go to jail if I made such a poor choice.
    Not to stir up a hornets nest but, I have to concur with KenaiJay. I have had agents of mine in the past who made the mistake of driving after consuming alcohol and in most cases a fraction over the legal limit. They were cited for DUI and rec'd the same punishment if not worse than any other citizen. After they rec'd punishment from the law, they were sanctioned by the service too(stripped of promotion possibilities for two years and in most cases, extended time off without pay and a mark in their file affecting their career). Last year I rec'd a speeding ticket for 10 over. Got cited just like anyone else. Don't think that it's like the movies and we just roll the gold and are absolved. Just not the case.

Proud for him that he turned himself in. You have to admit, there are many regular citizens who wouldn't take the high road.

I admire the heck out of him for turning himself in. He had a whole lot more at stake than the average citizien, but manned up and did it anyway. Who else is man enough?

Default I guess that's the point, BrownBear...

He chose to play his odds of "manning up", being caught anyways, or flying free in the manner in which he thought would benefit him the most--as...do...we...all. Its just part of the big poker game of life!

Who else is man enough? Well, I guess that it just depends upon the situation. Read Contenders post again--he chose a different pathway based upon his odds of discovery...

I'm of the opinion that none of these self turn-ins are ever going to bring a moose back to life again and as long as Contender and his family are eating the moose then I fine with it. Chronic, recidivist poachers never stop with a single violation. THOSE are the ones to burn!

Every judgement which calls us to action is a play on our risk tolerance, resources, and our ability to accurately assess the amount of risk that is faced. Just like crossing the street, driving a car or walking a tightwire.

IceKing02

I shot an undersize moose (kicker sure looked like a brow tine) and turned myself in some years back; $500 fine with $250 suspended. Seemed fair to me at the time and still does. Some poor folks ate well and I helped fill the coffers.

Our own worst critic looks at us in the morning mirror.........

Default Kenai Jay

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiJay View Post
    Marv1-

I have been 'on the job' in a voluntary status, and have witnessed on too many occasions the drunken cop that is given a ride home rather than to jail. They DO occur....no assumption needed. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has been in a position where maybe they have had one too many, legally, and end up driving anyway. To make a carte blanche statement of 'such a poor choice' translates that every DUI offender is blowing a .20 or higher, when you and I both know for a fact that the offenses we NEVER hear about are the ones that blow 1/100th over the legal limit, were pulled over for a busted tail light, and pass a field sobriety but not the bac meter, and are being hauled off by an over-zealous, just-out-of-the-academy God complex cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    He didn't get away with anything. The hunt was closed by emergency order, how many here routinely check the web site for the EOs? HE turned himself in and recieved the same as most in his situations receive, a $500.00 fine, just check the trooper web sites for this type situation.
    Sorry but if I'm on a hunt that can be closed by EO you can bet your butt that I will be checking everyday. As a matter of fact, I have done a few of those hunts and lost out because it closed so there is NO excuse for it. He did the right thing by turning himself in, how many of you would have done the same if it happened to you?

Having had the opportunity to see first hand the high degree of integrity demonstrated by Mike Fleagle during a number of Game Board meetings it is certainly no "surprise" to me that he immediately turn himself in when he became aware of the violation.
    Joe Want

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast