Thread: When do the the blackie bears come out?

Default When do the the blackie bears come out?

In general, what is the earliest a guy could expect to catch up with a black bear on a spot and stalk hunt within a few hours of Anchorage? My parents are looking to come up and visit, and my mom thinks April works better for them then May. I informed her there is really nothing to do in April, but my sister lives up here also and she just wants to come and visit. I, however, being a person of great logic, figure that if they are coming up, I might as well salvage a bear hunt out of the deal for my dad. I have spent five summers on the Kenai Peninsula and one fall on Kodiak, and have been in Anchorage this time around since last May, so I have never been here for the spring thaw. With all that in mind, what are peoples' thoughts on the earliest a guy could get a couple days of hunting in, and where (in general, of course) might be a good place to start. Like I said, I have spent most of my time on the Kenai, but anywhere between Soldotna and the Denali Highway would be in range. Any info would be appreciated.

I've seen bears on the mountain sides along Turnagain Arm in mid-April. Hunt the snow-free areas that are open, and you may just get lucky. Study the maps closely, though, as the difference between open and closed areas can be just over a ridge or around a corner.

Thanks Brian, anybody else have any more ideas?

Default follow the leader

you could go across the inlet to unit 16b and follow a brown bear around in april until it digs out a black bear....then shoot them both....
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Funny

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    you could go across the inlet to unit 16b and follow a brown bear around in april until it digs out a black bear....then shoot them both....
    Good plan!

Saw a fresh Brownie track a couple of weeks ago out by the Skwentna Flats. Also a pack of five Wolves East of the Yenlos the same weekend. Surprisingly, a few Moose east & south of the Yenlos too. Want to guess what the Wolves were loping along after? Got 'em to burn off a few calories before the inevitable meal though.
    These Chinooks keep up and we'll see a few of these Brownies up & down for the next month or so. Especially in the Yentna drainage, seems to me the salmon return wasn't what it was the year before. We might have a few hungry bears waking for a snack.

The people out at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center told me that the warm weather had already woken up a number of black bears and that the browns were getting up too. That was a couple of weeks ago. I'd expect an early season this year.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    The people out at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center told me that the warm weather had already woken up a number of black bears and that the browns were getting up too. That was a couple of weeks ago. I'd expect an early season this year.

Brian
    What and where is the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Default Black bear sighting

Saw a black bear three weeks ago next to Knik Elementary.

Default bear

when winter is over

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    What and where is the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?
    It used to be called "Big Game Alaska" - located across the street from the road to Portage Glacier and Whittier at the end of Turnagain Arm.