Thread: What Lures?

Default What Lures?

We are going to be around the Kenai Peninsula from July 24th untill July 31st and I was wondering what the best lures are for Silver, Reds and Kings.

Default Best lures

Depends. Will you be fishing from shore or from a boat?

Generally speaking, the best lures for kings (at least the most commonly used) is Kwikfish or Flatfish K-15-16 or T-50-55. These are best trolled behind a diver. Spin-n-glow or cheater with eggs is also very effective for kings.

Silvers are pretty much the same, but smaller scale. In addition, spinners like Vibrax #5 or spoons, like pixies are good in certain holes. This is a pink year, so there is a good chance of finding some pinks while fishing for either reds and silvers during your stay.

For reds, really the only thing that consistently produces is a drifted coho fly. While this will generate much debate (already a thread on this forum about reds biting), the common thought is that you are simply snagging the reds in the mouth. I, for one, believe that reds do bite on occasion, but agree that flossing is the most effective techinque. Casted pixies have also been known to legally catch reds, but the snagged vs. legal ratio is too high for me...

When you get to Soldotna, stop in at Soldotna Trustworthy Hardware and Fishing and they will get you properly rigged up with all that you need or want (quite easy on the wallet, relatively speaking I might add).

Good luck

We will be fishing from the shore. Also i was wondering what sizes and types of swivels and weights are reccomeded.

Thanks

Default Depends

Again,

Much depends on where exactly you would be fishing. Take a few of each and adjust accordingly.

For example, if you are fishing for silvers by soaking eggs, you will want a pyramid anywhere from 3-5 oz depending on the bottom and current.

For sockeye fishing, again much depends on where... use enough to get the fly down, you should feel it "tick" the bottom every few seconds... if you don't feel the bottom, use more weight... if you are dragging or not drifting properly, use less...

I'll repeat my earlier suggestion... stop at Trustworthy and they will give you great advice and gear to get you set up for the type and location that you would be fishing.

ive caught some nice silvers at cunnigham park between kenai and soldotna on a dare devle too.

You will be shore fishing during peak of the Sockeye run. I would recommend that you learn the Kenai flip with Coho fly's. Kings are best caught from a boat. If silvers your after than you will need to do a flyout to the Kustatan River on the west side of Cook Inlet.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 03-06-2008 at 09:12. Reason: spelling