Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting from a tent in the Southeast

Post Hunting from a tent in the Southeast

I'm sure there are many of you who have hunted from a tent in SE Alaska before. We were unsuccessful in our bid for one of the USFS cabins on Kuiu Island, so we're forced to use tents. Although I'm living in AZ, I'm a native Oregonian and have hunted in the rain and snow my whole life, so it's no big deal. Unfortunately, some of my party is getting cold feet because they are afraid of being miserable, cold and fearful of bears getting into the gear.

I've hunted Oregon, Washington, Wyoming and Arizona. In Wyoming we hunted deep into grizzly country, but never had any issues with them as long as we kept a clean camp. Can anyone give some reassuring words to my hunting buddies that it'll be worth a few days in the rain?
    "America sleeps safely in her bed because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do her harm."

G.Orwell

Take good rain gear and hip boots. LOL. Expect you will get wet. But will dry out when you get back to AZ. Have fun. J.

Default Geeeeez

Is it that bad? All those people looked at it and not one comment?
    "America sleeps safely in her bed because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do her harm."

G.Orwell

Default Border

I've stayed in a tent numerous times while bear hunting in the spring. All of those times were in the Misty Fiord area. We had rain, we had sun, we had rain/snow. Blackies and browns were there. Had a great time and had a fairly dry camp. Didn't have any bear problems.

Would I tent again? Yes, if I didn't have a cabin or boat option.

kingfisherktn

Default hunting from tent

Go for it. i've spent all of 30 years in Alaska using tents. Now at age 69 with 4 back surgeries i need a bed. your young (Ihope) you'll have good stories and memories.

Default Beware

I've been following your threads for awhile now. I think it is great that you want to hunt Alaska but I don't think you realize how brutal Southeast Alaska can be. I used to live in Southeast, now I live up north. I've experienced both worlds, Interior and Southeast and in my opinion Southeast Alaska will kill you for your mistakes a whole lot faster than the interior. Especially when you mix the ocean and a skiff into the equation. The ocean is the deadliest element in Alaska, bar none. Your woodsmanship in the Northwest by the way is just a starter for Southeast Alaska. There is an incredible amount of learning that goes on once you get up here. The kind of learning you only receive from local people. I'm not trying to persuade you to stay home, I could care less if you killed the biggest bear in Southeast, I'm just trying to warn you that Southeast Alaska is not necessarily a great starter hunt. By the way, comparing Wyoming bear country to Alaska bear country isn't very realistic. The bear aren't what you need to fear in Southeast though, but they will clean up your mistakes if you make any. If you still decide to go: 1) Carry a small ax. Everywhere. With it you can chop dry wood out of the interior of blowdown. If it has been raining for weeks you may not find any elsewhere. 2) That big bay you anchor your skiff in may not be there when you return from your hunt. This may leave your skiff high and dry and mean you get to overnight away from camp. Now you are not hunting or camping, just surviving.

It's a rainforest meaning there is never a lack of moisture. No such thing as a drought. Oregon, and Washington dont hold a flame to the weather you have the potential of facing in SE. I have hunted out of a tent in Haines, and it was doable. Didn't actually rain as much as I thought it would but it still did soak us pretty good plenty of times. Hardest thing is keeping a good hot fire for drying out. Keeping everything dry....Impossible. If it was me I would go for it. It could rain alot or it could rain a ton. The fact is it's SE, and there is no way of knowing what weather your gonna run into. You could even get one of those lucky weeks in April/May where it wont rain at all. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRgr View Post
    Take good rain gear and hip boots. LOL. Expect you will get wet. But will dry out when you get back to AZ. Have fun. J.
    We wrote our comments at the same time I guess. Yeah, we expect rain and wet. Got plenty of Gortex and changes of clothes.

G.Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Border Justice View Post
    Can anyone give some reassuring words to my hunting buddies that it'll be worth a few days in the rain?
    ManUP are ya little kids or what? ya afraid of melting in the rain? all ya need is a tarp, a pancho, some grub and yer gun. If a bear comes into camp blow his frikken brains out!

Quote Originally Posted by Shedhunter View Post
    I've been following your threads for awhile now. I think it is great that you want to hunt Alaska but I don't think you realize how brutal Southeast Alaska can be. I used to live in Southeast, now I live up north. I've experienced both worlds, Interior and Southeast and in my opinion Southeast Alaska will kill you for your mistakes a whole lot faster than the interior. Especially when you mix the ocean and a skiff into the equation. The ocean is the deadliest element in Alaska, bar none. Your woodsmanship in the Northwest by the way is just a starter for Southeast Alaska. There is an incredible amount of learning that goes on once you get up here. The kind of learning you only receive from local people. I'm not trying to persuade you to stay home, I could care less if you killed the biggest bear in Southeast, I'm just trying to warn you that Southeast Alaska is not necessarily a great starter hunt. By the way, comparing Wyoming bear country to Alaska bear country isn't very realistic. The bear aren't what you need to fear in Southeast though, but they will clean up your mistakes if you make any. If you still decide to go: 1) Carry a small ax. Everywhere. With it you can chop dry wood out of the interior of blowdown. If it has been raining for weeks you may not find any elsewhere. 2) That big bay you anchor your skiff in may not be there when you return from your hunt. This may leave your skiff high and dry and mean you get to overnight away from camp. Now you are not hunting or camping, just surviving.
    I really appreciate the comments Shedhunter. I really haven't thought lightly of the trip. My 30 years of hunting while not in Alaska, can't be completely discounted. Wyoming is no picnic either. Wicked storms in the Northwest of snow and ice can be deadly too. I've taught survival classes and hunter ed, taught survival to law enforcement, etc. So all in all I've been preparing for this hunt for five years specifically, but I've been building up to it all my life. I am trying to limit my risks and plan ahead. I've also made a very significant investment in gear as well.

G.Orwell

Default Southeast in the sunshine...

Is quite possibly the most beautiful place in the world, other than the Wrangells. Sounds like you need to make sure your friends are up to it.

My wife was born and raised in Oregon ... I told her before she moved up here that she didn't know what rain was ... she said I know all about rain I'm from oregon. After a couple years she said I was right ... she didn't know what rain was !!!!

Lots of difference between 40 or 50 inches and 120 or 130 (on a dry year) and 180 to 200+ on a wet one !!!!

Kuiu does get wet !!!!

Actually not many non-resident hunters come to S SE and hunt tent based ... actually not many residents of S SE hunt tent based.

Once wet you won't get dry ... unless the sun does come out. You must prepare for the worst and if it doesn't rain that much you are fortunate. We do have dry spells .... I think yesterday was one !!!!!

We wrote our comments at the same time I guess. Yeah, we expect rain and wet. Got plenty of Gortex and changes of clothes.
    I would leave the gortex and get impertec! I have worn all types of goretx especially the military stuff and is very good in a light rain but the seams begin to leak and then the whole garmet starts to weep. I also own a precip jacket and it isn't up to windblown rain either. Impertec bibs/jacket is the best for light(er) weight true rain protection. Add some ankle fit hip boots and you should be off and running.

Red face I hear your motor cluckin'

Quote Originally Posted by Shedhunter View Post
    Is quite possibly the most beautiful place in the world, other than the Wrangells. Sounds like you need to make sure your friends are up to it.
    I hear you there. Most of them are avid outdoorsman. The couple that aren't are having second thoughts about the bad weather possibilities. Maybe it is best if they back out if they are worried about it.

G.Orwell

Wink Ok Ok

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    My wife was born and raised in Oregon ... I told her before she moved up here that she didn't know what rain was ... she said I know all about rain I'm from oregon. After a couple years she said I was right ... she didn't know what rain was !!!!

Lots of difference between 40 or 50 inches and 120 or 130 (on a dry year) and 180 to 200+ on a wet one !!!!

Kuiu does get wet !!!!

Actually not many non-resident hunters come to S SE and hunt tent based ... actually not many residents of S SE hunt tent based.

Once wet you won't get dry ... unless the sun does come out. You must prepare for the worst and if it doesn't rain that much you are fortunate. We do have dry spells .... I think yesterday was one !!!!!
    Alright, I admit I haven't experienced Alaska. been alot of other places and certainly been in some extreme climate weather for sure. It'll be an eye opener, but I'll be prepared to be in survival mode for the 5 days that we're there!

G.Orwell

Exclamation ...for the record...

Not all of the hunting party is nervous... some of us are looking forward to the challenges.

"Preparation is the key to successfully starting any adventure, but will only get you so far. Eventually it comes down to finding out who you really are."
    Unknown

Thumbs up Imper...what???

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I would leave the gortex and get impertec! I have worn all types of goretx especially the military stuff and is very good in a light rain but the seams begin to leak and then the whole garmet starts to weep. I also own a precip jacket and it isn't up to windblown rain either. Impertec bibs/jacket is the best for light(er) weight true rain protection. Add some ankle fit hip boots and you should be off and running.
    I have the hip boots, but I've never heard of impertec. Who carries it?

G.Orwell

Default poly tarps

Just include several tarps of different sizes in you gear list and lots of good line.

And some good type of fire starters .... Napalm comes to mind !!!!

I have the hip boots, but I've never heard of impertec. Who carries it?
    Helly Hansen makes the impertech. It is great stuff! It goes where ever I go. For the bear hunt go with the bibs. You will not regret it. Good luck and take a lot of pictures.
    Last edited by spoiled one; 03-05-2008 at 21:22. Reason: fat fingered the keys
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Ah yes Chief

Quote Originally Posted by WH7DA View Post
    Not all of the hunting party is nervous... some of us are looking forward to the challenges.

"Preparation is the key to successfully starting any adventure, but will only get you so far. Eventually it comes down to finding out who you really are."
    Unknown
    Yes, not all of us are unprepared. Thank GOD!

G.Orwell

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast