Thread: Beach or dock fishing

Default Beach or dock fishing

I was wondering if you could get flounder or other fish off the shore or docks in Seward, homer, whittier, or Valdez in early spring?

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    I was wondering if you could get flounder or other fish off the shore or docks in Seward, homer, whittier, or Valdez in early spring?
    search "surf" and you should get some info. I know that I have seen flounder cought off of the Homer spit.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default flounder in seward...

when i was a kid, we used to fish directly onder the walkway ramps to the docks at low tide and we used to catch a bunch of flounders. cut up herring and send it to the bottom used to use a little trout pole and it used to make the time pass by waiting for the next tide. used to fish the docks in homer also. did pretty well down on those docks also.

Default I'd like the same info on Seward and Homer in July

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    I will be visiting Seward and Homewr in late July prior to my fishing with marlows on the Kenai. I wonder if there are any fishing opportunities from the shore or piers in these two areas at that time.

off the breakwater in seward has lots of flounder if they still let you fish it. Homer near the ferry dock pilings gets lots of flounder and cod

I second the dock pilings in Homer where the Ferry moors, the fishing gets even better when a Ferry does dock there it seems, I've seen cod, flounder, the occasional silver, and have even seen a halibut caught there it was about 4 lbs

The docks in Homer during an incoming tide are excellent for bottom fishing...may even get a few crabs holding on til the surface. I took my mom down once just for kicks and she caught a huge cod...she was forever talking about it. I`ve never tried in Seward or Whittier but my guess is it`s probably the same. Leaving Seward harbor I always turn on the fish finder and am surprised by the shear number of fish in there...you get outside the harbor and the # falls off quick.

I would question the quality of the flesh of the fish taken within the confines of the small boat harbors. Bios did some studies several years ago in Seward. I talked to them and they said benzene was found in disturbing levels in the bottom fish. One small octopus they said was highly toxic with some other chemicals. That was years ago, so I assume the problem is probably worse today, with the number of boats in the harbors as compared to then. I also see more sheen in the waters now days as compared to back then.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    ...may even get a few crabs holding on til the surface. .
    I'm pretty sure catching crab with rod & reel is illeagal in AK. Not sure why.

Default Just a happening

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    I'm pretty sure catching crab with rod & reel is illeagal in AK. Not sure why.

I think he was just saying that it was going to happen. Not that it was something to do.

We used to do it out on the ice pack out of Shaktoolik though. Ice fishing for crabs!!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I would question the quality of the flesh of the fish taken within the confines of the small boat harbors. Bios did some studies several years ago in Seward. I talked to them and they said benzene was found in disturbing levels in the bottom fish. One small octopus they said was highly toxic with some other chemicals. That was years ago, so I assume the problem is probably worse today, with the number of boats in the harbors as compared to then. I also see more sheen in the waters now days as compared to back then.
    I've caught all the species mentioned off of the Homer spit. The most productive area is right by where a processing facility expels its effluent. All of the fish I've caught there are just LOADED with parasites. The sculpin have them hanging off their faces and inside their mouths. The cod and pollock were rife with them throughout their flesh. The little sole had a lot less, and I actually ate some of them. And that's in addition to any chemicals noted above...
    But they are fun to fish for, anyway.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Dave,

Yeah, I'm not gonna call the troopers or anything

I've caught a few crabs while bottom fishing here. It happens.

I just think its kinda weird that it's illegal. I used to "crab fish" off the north jetty in WA state when I was younger. It was pretty fun. We used a big bird's nest of old mono with a clam neck in the middle, and heaved it out as far as we could with a 12 foot sturgeon rod. Then we'd sit back and wait for "bites"

At fred meyer's here in Juneau they sell the "cast-a-crab" things that are supposed to be used w/ fishing rods....which are illegal to use w/ a rod here...weird.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

I caught 2 halibut off the Spit last summer.Only 12 lbs and 15 lbs but still got a few tasty fillets.Used sculpin belly for bait.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Fishing off the Homer Spit

When fishing off the spit try the beach by Land's End.Bottom fish with a 2 oz. sliding sinker,a short leader,and whole herring.You'll be suprized at what will come up.Some flounder,an occasional halibut,tom-cod,and a lot of butt-ugly fishzillas.Take a lounge chair and have a good time.

every year in seward, there is always someone who land a huge halibut from shore.