Thread: anybody fished Quartz or birch lakes

Default anybody fished Quartz or birch lakes

HAs anybody been out to Quartz or birch lakes (interior) recently? I am headed down next weekend, and was hoping for some updated intel.

Default nope

But I'll probably be down there with you this weekend, luck.

Default I Have Been Too!

i hope you buy the little airplane jigs cause that is what works on quartz we parked on the ice about 150 yards away from the boat dock.

Birch i have fished there in the past two tournaments and my buddy won the last one with a 19 inch arctic char and i won the last one with a 19.5 inch char not to bad i caught 4 fish in a matter of 2 hours fishing.

i suggest on birch to fish where all of the army house are that is the second peninsula there is a ice road on the lake to take you there cant miss it. i use a glow in the dark airplane jig on both and was very successful.

Default Quartz Lake 27 Feb

This Rainbow was between 20-21 inches caught in 2 feet of water with shrimp and nitro egg on 27 Feb 2008. Ice is about 3 ft thick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Fishing through the ice at Quartz has been great for myself and a couple of buddies. LOTS of bows over 20". Shrimp is what we have all used.

I second what 27 said. We have caught many at 20". He is also a witness to my amazing catching abilities. Here is a pic of a bow I caught on quartz around New Years.

However, I will give props to 27 for catching my pole that got drug through the ice and with an assist on a large trout.

Sapper 2-6
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Snagger22 ??

Tell snagger22 he needs to go to Quartz and catch some also.

TSS

Default new updates

Ok another weekend has gone by anybody got new updates for me on quartz or birch?

Question Ice on Fbnks lakes??

Anyone go out this weekend around Fbnks? Just curious of the ice conditions.....I noticed everyone pulled their houses off of one the lakes and wondered if the ice is starting to get soft......

AK_BigO

I did not go out this last weekend myself.

There was an iceshanty.com meet and greet at Birch Lake this last Saturday. They have photos posted on the web site. They pulled a couple 20+ char and rainbows out of their ice holes.

There was also a derby out at Silver Lake, had a buddy of mine go and he said about 200 folks showed, the winner was a somewhere around 20+ inches.

I can fish on the ice until around the 25th of April, give or take a day. Seems temps cooled down again the last 48 hours and only a few open spots in the chena slough. Ice should be good for another week at least. Fishing should be really good.

Going to get in my last few ice trips this next 2 weeks, then put the auger up for Situk Steelhead.

Anyone else got news about the lake conditions?

TSS,
    Take me with you! Seriously have an awesome time. I've all but finaled out getting ready for my new adventure in AL. I find myself looking up lodging rates, airfare, etc. Hell I even bought a handful of the "Garcias" you mentioned to me...all in preparation for my pilgramage to Yakutat. Hopefully in '09. We'll see...Good Luck man!

Sapper 27

P.S. akfishfool get out there man the ice is still good!

Default Hey!

TSS,

****, sounds like those folks had some fun out there. Some guy on the same site has some nice pics of Lakers out at Harding. Wanna try sometime before you go down south? Where is the pics from the silver lake derby? If they could make it out there on ATV's, we should have gone! Did you see that guy in the newsminer fly fishing for grayling, it must have been one of the 52 degree days before this cold stuff moved in.

Fish On!

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I did not go out this last weekend myself.

There was an iceshanty.com meet and greet at Birch Lake this last Saturday. They have photos posted on the web site. They pulled a couple 20+ char and rainbows out of their ice holes.

There was also a derby out at Silver Lake, had a buddy of mine go and he said about 200 folks showed, the winner was a somewhere around 20+ inches.

I can fish on the ice until around the 25th of April, give or take a day. Seems temps cooled down again the last 48 hours and only a few open spots in the chena slough. Ice should be good for another week at least. Fishing should be really good.

Going to get in my last few ice trips this next 2 weeks, then put the auger up for Situk Steelhead.

Anyone else got news about the lake conditions?
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.