Thread: Floating the Deshka

Default Floating the Deshka

I signed up for unit 16 predator control and plan on floating the deshka. My questions are:

How long does the float take from Petersville rd?

How difficult is it to find camping spots?

Is there any rough water to worry about?

How much does it cost to get picked up at the mouth and run back to the landing?

Also What are the typical water conditions floating peters creek to the kahiltna?

Thanks for the help.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    I signed up for unit 16 predator control and plan on floating the deshka. My questions are:

How long does the float take from Petersville rd?

We usually allowed 4-5 days in a raft, you will be able to do it much quicker in a canoe.

How difficult is it to find camping spots?

No problem, lots of places to pitch a tent.

Is there any rough water to worry about?

No, it is really easy going especially the closer to the mouth you get.

Thanks for the help.
    Sorry I can't help you with the cost, we used to have Willow Air service pick us up but that was before the days of the almighty Deshka Landing...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks Akmud, I plan on floating in a canoe or if i can find a motor for it a scanoe. Also I was told that there is a shuttle from the landing to the put in for 20-30 a person. Who should I call to find out more about that?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Call Deshka Landing, they will be able to give you info regarding who is providing shuttle services. I imagine some of the guides would be able to run you back if their schedule allows.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Are you talking about floating from Moose Creek on Petersville Road down to the mouth? Looks like a fun trip, thought about rafting it myself.

Tim

Thanks for all of the help. I will post about the float after I make it. tccak71, After recieving advise by PM I will be puting in off of oilwell rd on Moose creek. I was told that the section from petersville rd to Oilwell would be shallow and add time to my trip that could be spent futher down hunting and fishing.

Default moose/deshka

Did it in 6 days couple years back, great trip.

Peters is a lot bumpier, boulder fields and choppier water but also a great trip.

You might get ahold of Ron's Riverboat. I spoke with him a couple of years ago about his canoe trips. He rented the canoes and such, would drop them off at the road on Moose Creek I believe, and would pick them up at the end and bring them back to his place.

He rented Coleman canoes and some showed signs of being in mighty shallow water.

Thanks for the info. I have my own canoes and have already aranged for a pickup. Hopefuly the water, fish, and bears will cooperate with me. If not it will be a great camping trip anyway.

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

Who are you using for the pick-up?

Quote Originally Posted by #1duck View Post
    Who are you using for the pick-up?
    A Forum member offered a ride.

I did this float a few years ago in a Coleman Scanoe and it was a piece of cake. No rough water. The whole river can be canoed in 2 hard days if you need to. The upper part is narrow and twisty with tons of trout and grayling to catch. Watch for sweepers. Once you get to the mouth of Kroto Creek there is a fantastic campground on the Park Highway side of the stream. Lots of places to camp everywhere though...Below Kroto you have to watch out for Airboaters, but you can hear them miles away and can pull to shore. If the wind is blowing up stream you will have to paddle hard in the large flat sections below Kroto. There are a number of gravel bars that you will have to pull your canoe through, but that is simple. I hired a guy at the mouth of the Deshka to haul me back to the launch at Willow. Very enjoyable trip. Have fun.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default wind..

funny you mentioned the wind blowing upstream...I've floated it quite a few times and nearly every afternoon of every trip the wind would blow upstream...it made it a real pain in the arse to make any headway with a cataraft..
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....