Thread: Looking for guides in Junea or Skagway

Question Looking for guides in Junea or Skagway

Hi

Will be in Junea and Skagway via cruise in May. The guys want to do some fishing, preferrably fly fishing, but open to boat. Looking for suggestions on guides in those areas.

Smiles

Default Finding guides...

Do your homework. Keyword search both those destinations and add the words "visitor guide" to each. Navigate those sites to the fishing areas and up will come your links. This is the easiest way to procure overall information.

Check this thread, too. Sometimes the locals will chide in with that they know from personal or professional experiences.

If you catch you have three options with your fish:

1. Release it.
    2. Ship it home.
    3. Bring it on board and have it prepared for you. Communicate this to your table waiter
    ahead of time.

I'm scheduled to be cruising the Inside Passage mid-September and I'll be exercising option #3...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Look up bear creek outfitters. They do fly out trips for dolly varden in the spring. The fishing can be pretty fun around here in may. You could also get a saltwater charter for spring king salmon, but the fishing is a lot slower.

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Juneau Charter

I have fished with Fishhunter Charters out of Juneau five time in the last three years. The local Coast Guard fisherman use this chater service because they see how many fish he brings in. Ask for Mike who skippers The Huntress vessel. These guys love to fish and take it seriously. Call 907-321-5949 and ask for Mike.
    This is not a fly fishing trip. Trolling for salmon and bottom fishing for halibut.

While Juneau isn't the best fishing destination that time of year (Sitka wins hands down), it is much better than Skagway. Whatever you do, I'd fish Juneau over Skagway any day.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFOOL View Post
    I have fished with Fishhunter Charters out of Juneau five time in the last three years. The local Coast Guard fisherman use this chater service because they see how many fish he brings in. Ask for Mike who skippers The Huntress vessel. These guys love to fish and take it seriously. Call 907-321-5949 and ask for Mike.
    This is not a fly fishing trip. Trolling for salmon and bottom fishing for halibut.
    My good friend is captaining one of his boats this summer.....Great company to go with, as well as CanCanCase who frequents here...

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAuthor View Post
    3. Bring it on board and have it prepared for you. Communicate this to your table waiter
    ahead of time.

I'm scheduled to be cruising the Inside Passage mid-September and I'll be exercising option #3...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com
    What ship are you cruising on? Over the last 3 years the health department has come up with some crazy new regs on fish, and all of the cruise lines have stopped allowing this. If anyone still allows it, it will be on one of the smaller ships (Cruise West or the new Pacific Princess) and they sure bury the process and make it difficult.

I've had nearly 1500 cruise ship passengers on board my boat in the last 2 years, and every cruise line has been very specific when telling guides "no sport caught fish brought back aboard the ship!"

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    If you want to fly fish, Juneau Fly Fishing Goods will get you pointed in the right direction for sure. If you want to fly-out, Butch Laughlin at Alaska Fly N Fish is an old family friend of mine and runs some awesome tours.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFOOL View Post
    Mike Duby owns/operates 3 or 4 nearly identical Bayliner 28' Cieras. FishHunter is probably the busiest of anyone in town since they've contracted with the vendor that does most of the cruise ship trips. Personally, I would want to make sure I chartered the whole boat so I didn't have to share the fishing with the tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    My good friend is captaining one of his boats this summer.....Great company to go with, as well as CanCanCase who frequents here...
    Thanks for the mention! ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Figured I could get a brown nose in there somewhere :P