Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increased bou limit on Dalton Hwy.

Default Increased bou limit on Dalton Hwy.

Now it is more worth the drive!!!

http://newsminer.com/news/2008/mar/0...t-bow-hunters/

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default What did they decide?

Limit?
    Season?

I can't get the link to work.

thanks,

Won't open

If true man I can see all the people there now
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Miner

I think the Miner web page went down. I can't even log into that.

Here you go , I back doored the news miner and went in through the arctic cam link. Heres the great news....

In response to a proposal by a pair of Fairbanks archers, the state game board upped the early season bag limit for caribou inside the Dalton Highway Management Corridor north of the Brooks Range from one bull to two.
    The new bag limit will take effect July 1 north of 244 Mile on the Dalton Highway in game management unit 26B

What does it say? details!!!! Thanks for the up to the minute report dave
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Won't open

If true man I can see all the people there now
    Me too! They're driving up and down the road all over the place then running in and scaring the 'bou away from those OTHER guys who are laying around behind small ridges and rocks waiting for the caribou to come to THEM! (snicker snicker)

Brian

Here's the whole article for those that can't get the link to work...
    Game board ups limit for bow hunters

By Tim Mowry
    Published Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Alaska Board of Game on Tuesday gave bow hunters more incentive to make the long drive up the Dalton Highway.
    In response to a proposal by a pair of Fairbanks archers, the state game board upped the early season bag limit for caribou inside the Dalton Highway Management Corridor north of the Brooks Range from one bull to two.
    The new bag limit will take effect July 1 north of 244 Mile on the Dalton Highway in game management unit 26B.
    The game board’s action came on day five of an 11-day meeting in Fairbanks to consider changes to hunting and trapping regulations in the Interior. The meeting started on Friday and is scheduled to run through Monday. On Tuesday, the board dealt with proposals in northeast Alaska and the McGrath area.
    Despite the 400-mile drive north, the Dalton Highway hunt is popular because it is one of the few road-accessible caribou hunts in Alaska that doesn’t require a special permit, though bow hunters must pass a shooting test to be eligible for the hunt.
    Bow hunters are allowed to shoot caribou within five miles of the road while rifle hunters must hike at least five miles from the road before shooting an animal. However, bow hunters are allowed only one bull caribou inside the corridor under current regulations while rifle hunters are allowed two.
    Biologically there is no reason why the bag limit shouldn’t be raised, area management biologist Beth Lenart told the board. The last population estimate for the Central Arctic Caribou Herd was 32,000 in 2002 and the herd appears to be growing, Lenart said.
    Hunters harvest a total of 700 to 800 caribou from the herd each year, which is below the current harvest objective, Lenart said. Bow hunters harvest only about 200 caribou a year, she said.
    “Even if the harvest is higher, right now we’re harvesting less than 3 percent of the herd,” Lenart said. “A higher harvest won’t hurt the herd biologically.”
    Fish and Game doesn’t have statistics on how many bow hunters use the Dalton Highway Management Corridor, but Lenart doesn’t think the liberalized bag limit will increase harvest significantly.
    “If there’s a bunch of caribou running through, hunters maybe have the ability to take two but they have to think about processing that meat,” she said. “In July and August it can still be pretty warm, so you’ve got to think about that.”
    The Game board also lengthened the brown bear season in unit 26B at the request of the Department of Fish and Game to open Aug. 25 instead of Sept. 1. The department proposed the longer season because the population can sustain a higher harvest, Lenart said.
    Opening the season for a week at the end of August will give caribou and sheep hunters who are already in the field a chance to shoot a grizzly bear if they see one, assuming they have a grizzly bear tag.
    “That’s when caribou and sheep hunters are out there,” said Lenart.
    In other action, the board:
    • Reconsidered a proposal that it rejected on Monday to open the sheep hunting season in the Interior two days earlier for residents than non-residents.
    The board amended and passed a proposal to open the season two days later for non-residents than residents. Beginning in next year, the non-resident sheep season in all Interior game management units will open Aug. 12 instead of Aug. 10. The exceptions are the Tok Management Area and Delta Controlled Use Area, where the non-resident season will still open Aug. 10.
    On Monday, the board rejected a proposal that would have opened the season for residents two days early and added five days to the end of the season for residents.
    The board voted to wait until 2009 to make the regulation effective because guides already have non-resident clients booked for the upcoming hunting season, department spokeswoman Cathie Harms said.
    “The board felt like it really wanted to do something for residents and give them an advantage without harming non-residents too badly,” she said.
    • Deferred a proposal to re-authorize the current predator control plan in unit 19A to the spring 2009 meeting because the current plan doesn’t expire until the end of June 2009.

Good news, though I won't be able to take advantage this year. With a little one on the way in May, I think weekend hunts will be the name of the game this fall.

On a side note, the article claims that bowhunters only take ~200 caribou a year up there. That seems awfully low. When I was up there for 5 days I saw quite a darn few caribou taken.

The herd may be able to take the addition pressure but what about the area? It can already be a mad house up there and now increased pressure? The parking is going to be a problem as well as areas to camp.

Default No big increase

I don't see a big increase. The harvest level is not that high for archers. The die hards, who ever that might be ;-), will be there anyways as they always have.

Parking, has always been a problem and will continue until the state builds some pull-outs. Which they won't do.

I glad the fish and game is starting to give bow hunters a bone here and there.
    Hopefully we can work on them and move the bow moose season to later.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

This could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing!...regardless it's going to be crazy up there again this year.

anyone recall where MP244 is ? i'm thinking just south of slope mtn. ???????
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    anyone recall where MP244 is ? i'm thinking just south of slope mtn. ???????

I think your right.
    Wish I could help you better. At my old age here my mind is the first thing that is starting to go
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default 244

mile 244 Atigun Pass, elev. 4739 ft. As you travel over Atigun Pass, you are going over the Continental Divide. Rivers to the north empty into the Arctic Ocean, while rivers to the south empty into the Bering Sea. North of the Atigun Pass, permafrost grows deeper (over 2,000 feet in the Prudhoe Bay area) and is present almost everywhere. South of the pass, permafrost areas become thinner and less prevalent. Watch for Dall sheep on the mountain sides around Atigun Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Watch for Dall sheep on the mountain sides around Atigun Pass.
    Don''t watch to hard. That is one heck of a drop off if your vehicle goes off the road.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Hopefully we can work on them and move the bow moose season to later.
    And the 14C archery sheep season to earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    And the 14C archery sheep season to earlier.
    Hopefully we can.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I need a bow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast