Thread: Moose float advice please

Default Moose float advice please

My name is jason I have never been to the AK, just looking for advice on an outfitter or someone to point me in the right direction. I would like to go unguided in 09 because of the $$ situation. I have recently talked to an outfitter at a sportsmans show in PA. The outfitter was Willow Air and he said the price would be around $4800 and that just includes the raft. All of the camping equipment,food,air fair is up to us to buy. If anyone has any info or has ever used him your opnion would be greatly appreciated. As for the equipment if any one can recommend what to bring that you normaly would not think of that also would be very helpful.

Default Float hunt

Got a PM headed your way. More later when I have time...

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default float hunt help

Also try Larry Barlett, he does a hell of a job setting up unguided float hunts! I went through him last year sept. 07. One of the greatest hunts I have ever been on! Good Luck!! pm, if you need any other suggestions.

$4800 is steep for an unguided hunt. I believe they fly out of McGrath so maybe that's why its so spendy. I think you could pull one off for much less than that, excluding the airfare from PA and shipping meat/trophies to PA. Check with Strahan and Bartlett, they outfit hunts.

Tim

Definitley check with Larry B over at Pristine Ventures, he set me up 2 years ago and it was a great hunt and I plan on using him again in '09 for moose and caribou. Are you going alone or with a friend?

I will be with a friend.

Default buy a book

I'm halfway through Michael Strahan's book and from what I've seen it's worth it's weight in gold!! Bartlet has a book as well. Read both no such thing as to much info.

How much did your hunt run with Bartlett? Also interested in your price Mike. Willow Air doesn't always put you in what I'd call remote. If you go with him ask about the Susalitna float. Maybe a couple more bucks but worth it. Unless $4800 is his regular price now. Too high! Try Kirk Sweetsir with Yukon Air Service at www.yukonair.com Way better than Willow.

It cost me $3200 but I had my own camping gear and food, the cost covered raft rental, hunt planner, and all air charters in and out with meat haul from Fairbanks. I floated a river up north and never saw another person for 8 days, like I said, it was a fantastic trip. Keep in mind that that was 2 years ago and prices might have gone up.

Thumbs up Moose Hunt

Well I have said it before & I will say it again Larry B. @ Pristine Ventures is the way to go. I have used his service since 2004 & lets see, game to date 5 caribou, 2 60" moose,1 wolf, passsed on 2 other 60 class moose, various other critters as well. Oh yea at times my arms where tired of catching fish. No not a paid spokesmen just a happy customer!
    pm if you need any more info

AK Hunter....not too bad at all really.

Question for you guys....Don't want to sound in doubt but I'm pretty capable of my own hunt planning. I am considering using the service though. I don't doubt the value of hands on experience in an area. I know better than that. Question though: If I have a qualified & reputable bush pilot who can tell me which maps to get and give me all of my hunt logistics, good history and references included, what would the extra cost of a hunt planner like Pristine Ventures do for me?

Default My .02

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post
    AK Hunter....not too bad at all really.

Question for you guys....Don't want to sound in doubt but I'm pretty capable of my own hunt planning. I am considering using the service though. I don't doubt the value of hands on experience in an area. I know better than that. Question though: If I have a qualified & reputable bush pilot who can tell me which maps to get and give me all of my hunt logistics, good history and references included, what would the extra cost of a hunt planner like Pristine Ventures do for me?
    I'll toss my thoughts your way, altho a lot of people on this Forum are much better suited to answer this one...

My own thought would be that while an air taxi can do the things you mention, the one things I'm not sure they pay much attention to, is the state of the rivers (in terms of floatability) each year. Depending on annual precipitation, some rivers that were great producers last year might not even be floatable this year due to lack of rainfall/whatever.

I would think that Larry and Mike would put much more thought into that part of it, but again, others will answer much better than I can.

Quote Originally Posted by GITDEMBARS View Post
    I'm halfway through Michael Strahan's book and from what I've seen it's worth it's weight in gold!! Bartlet has a book as well. Read both no such thing as to much info.
    What's the title of the two books? Sounds like worthwhile reading. Thanks, Tom

Default Float Hunting Book

Quote Originally Posted by BowhunterTom View Post
    What's the title of the two books? Sounds like worthwhile reading. Thanks, Tom
    Hello Tom,

The title of my book is "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers". If you will be at the Great Alaska Sportsman's Show, or at the Fairbanks Outdoor Show, I will be conducting many hours of seminars at both, and will be there to sign and sell books as well. If you cannot make it to those events, you may order it AT THIS LINK.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Mike!

SInce noody mentioned the name of Larry's book i'll go ahead and do it. It's called A Complete Guide to Float Hunting Alaska.

Thanks for the info folks! I ordered the books today!

Tom