Thread: Truck gun??

Question Truck gun??

With graduation coming up I am looking to pick up a truck gun for this next year at UAF. (I will be leaving the nice 300RUM at home)
    Being that I don't have alot of extra money around I can't buy whatever I would like. Are there many good, cheap, bolt guns out there? I have been looking at both the Savage and Mossberg bolt rifles, but are there any others I am missing?

Also, opening a can of worms here I know, but what is a good truck gun caliber? I would like something I can use on a blackie if I happen to stumble into one, but don't want something that will kill the bank to buy ammunition. I had been looking at 300wm. and 270. These good choices? Missing a good/viable caliber?

ANY AND ALL info would be appreciated guys! I'm tryin' to triple my gun library before I head off to the 'great learning' years and I need your help and wisdom!

Thanks,

Jon

Seems to me you ought to be able find a good remington 700 ADL in 30/06 for under 400, possibly even 350.00. I think I bought my 300 ADL from a gun shop for 350.00

06 rifles can be had pretty reasonable up here. Lots of people dump them all the time for bigger calibers.

I dont see why a savage wouldnt be a good choice either.

My pick would be the ADL, open sights, 06 and cut down to a 20" barrel. Weight, handling, power, budget priced and familiar.

Jon, a truck gun is used quite abit -something that gets knocked around and don't get fussed over too much? I think that is a tough one for me as it is going to be neglected and sights could very well be damaged at one time or another but what the heck..... buy a Remington 760 or the 7600 in .30-06 18 1/2" bbl and keep an extra clip in the jockey box. Check to see when the next Gun show is and you may get lucky and pick up a Whelan in a pump Rem. that would be a darn good thumping truck gun for sure!

Buy it used and be happy!

Default fun stuff

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    With graduation coming up I am looking to pick up a truck gun for this next year at UAF. (I will be leaving the nice 300RUM at home)
    Being that I don't have alot of extra money around I can't buy whatever I would like. Are there many good, cheap, bolt guns out there? I have been looking at both the Savage and Mossberg bolt rifles, but are there any others I am missing?

Also, opening a can of worms here I know, but what is a good truck gun caliber? I would like something I can use on a blackie if I happen to stumble into one, but don't want something that will kill the bank to buy ammunition. I had been looking at 300wm. and 270. These good choices? Missing a good/viable caliber?

ANY AND ALL info would be appreciated guys! I'm tryin' to triple my gun library before I head off to the 'great learning' years and I need your help and wisdom!

Thanks,

Jon
    Truck guns are fun, because almost anything will work, depending on your interests. I've currently got a Marlin lever in 35 Remington, but I'm soon to replace it with a Mossberg bolt in 308. I found the latter in a used gun rack for $150, and I've got great respect for the caliber.

Which gun also depends on the time of year and what you're looking for. If fur bearers are on the front burner my stainless mini-14 moves into the rack.

The rest of the year I keep a beat up old single shot 22 there. Nothing fancy, but great for small game and plinking.

Mark

The tread title makes me think of gun trucks.

Get the shotgun news and apply for a C&R license. You can get some nice mil-surplus rifles for under $100. One of my friends just got a sweet mosin nagant and 300 rounds of ammo for $99.

Default Abuse

A rifle that spends most of its time behind the seat of a truck should be a very hardy firearm. With well made sights and a finish that might get abused. The above description follows very closely with the requirements for a military rifle. A used M98, M96 Swede, M35 Swiss, Mosin Nagant, would all fill your needs and be inexpensive to boot.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 1894

A lever gun in 30-30 or 444 or maybe 45-70. Short and handy, and plenty of marlins or winchesters to choose from.

Get a used Savage rifle. They're cheap and easy to find and, plus, you can beat it to crap and not give a darn. Hard to care about making a rifle ugly when it comes from the factory ugly.

Default guns on campus

I know this is a whole different topic, but, since UAF went to real police on campus in 1995 things have changed quite a bit regarding enforcement up there. I know we weren't suppossed to have guns in our rooms back then and I doubt anything has changed on that other than they probably are more strict about it now. I lived in the outdoor adventure dorm and quite a few of us had guns from time to time, I don't know what the rules were about having them in our cars. I supposse if you don't have it on a gun rack hanging up in the window of your truck no one would care or know.

Also while I attended school there, myself and nearly everyone I knew had their vehicle broken into at some point. All they took from me was a case of oil, but I still had to have the glass replaced.

Just food for thought, and I'm sure I've opened a can of worms with this.

I would also second a used Savage in .30/06. Price is right and you won't feel too bad if it gets beat up. Another option, and my favorite "cheaper" rifle, is a Howa. They can be found at good prices too.

Brent

Default truck gun

cut down double 12ga. , short enough to swing around in the cab and hides easy . Great for swatting game birds off and along the road and puts slugs within 2" of each other at close range , paid $50 for it .

Quote Originally Posted by logman View Post
    cut down double 12ga. , short enough to swing around in the cab and hides easy . Great for swatting game birds off and along the road and puts slugs within 2" of each other at close range , paid $50 for it .
    Prepare for a regulation schooling!!

Smile

What ever happened to the Remington 788 carbine? That was a truck gun. Short enough to turn around and shoot out either window. Accurate enough hit anything in sight and cheap enough that you didn't care too much if it was stolen.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Howa

I second the howa option. I love all three of mine and they upgrade very easy if you want later in life. But I carried an SKS for years back in Nebraska when I went to college. I also had a 410 snake charmer. The combo cost me $200 total and could bring down anything I found around.

Default 788

They were made to provide a cheap Remington and wound up being absolute tack drivers , good idea .

I have a NEF single shot .243 that has been my truck gun for a while. The Handi rifles are great as they are accurate, cheap and tough. And hey, they just came out with a .300 WM...