Thread: Eureka Snow Conditions in April/May

Default Eureka Snow Conditions in April/May

I am trying to find a spot that me and the wife can go bear hunting with our wheelers in late April / early May. Anyone know what the typical trail conditions are for Eureka around that time of year? Is it passable with wheelers or would we be better off going somewhere else?

Thanks

AK

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    I am trying to find a spot that me and the wife can go bear hunting with our wheelers in late April / early May. Anyone know what the typical trail conditions are for Eureka around that time of year? Is it passable with wheelers or would we be better off going somewhere else?

Thanks

AK
    I can tell you a few things about early spring atving in Eureka but it probably won't help much as to when you can make it. I didn't keep accurate records so this is just on my "maybe" poor recollection. I have attempted to be the first person to lay down atv tracks on the other side of the little nel for the last 5 years. Some years I'll go to the Little O or the O well into June and see NO other tracks on the other side of the little nel except the ones I layed down in previous weeks. The Little Nel scares the crap out of most atvers in spring, but me and my partners have snorkled atvs and no brains.
    I believe it was 04 or 05, the year we had an unusual early hot spring that me and my partners made it to the Big O on April 17 on atvs. Nobody we tell this to believes us, but there was no snow except for a few patches and one haulingbutt dangerous little nel to cross. Not last spring but the one before we could only make it to 4 corners because of deep snow on Memorial Day, the end of May. No one made it in till June on atvs that year. So there ya go, the window of entry is in a 6 week time frame at least. Your question is pretty much like asking where the caribou are gonna be on the Haul road next fall
    Also be advised that 496 out of 500 people that come up to the Little Nel in early spring will turn around and play on that side of the river they are already on Me, my 2 partners and the goldminer Andy being the 4 people.
    There are Bears this side of the LN so staying on this side is an option.
    You may also be able to get in earlier on other trails near there for bear. at mile 130 is the old man trail, 27 miles round trip to the little nel.
    Belanger pass/ squaw creek trails at mile 123.
    Gunsight trail at mile 121.
    Pinochle trail at mile 99.4 (difficult trail)
    all of these trails may open earlier than Eureka lodge trails, they all have bear and maybe some other people on here can give you more info. Check back on here in late april as I will be posting trail conditions. I'm planning a weeklong long snowmachine hunt for bear and have people giving me trail conditions from over there.

Default thanks

Thanks for the headsup. I will look into the other trails and will keep an eye out for your snow report.

AK