Thread: Italio Silvers...

Default Italio Silvers...

Anyone fished out on the Italio / Akwe Rivers?

How is the Silver fishing? (Any reds?)

I understand there is a forest service cabin out there too.

Any feedback or experiences would greatly be appreciated.

Gracias!

I have stayed at the Italio River cabin, be prepared for a walk, I have heard since my stay 7 years ago they have a new stove which would be a welcomed addition. If you don't mind a little walk the fish can be in good but seemed hit or miss (call it Salmon fishing). That said there was some fantastic info in the journal at the cabin, but the streams around the cabin have changed drastically over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJimmers View Post
    Anyone fished out on the Italio / Akwe Rivers?

How is the Silver fishing? (Any reds?)

I understand there is a forest service cabin out there too.

Any feedback or experiences would greatly be appreciated.

Gracias!
    A. yes. I have fished them twice.

B. good to very good fishing for silvers on the ascending limb of the incoming tide. large fish, fight hard. not filthy thick with fish, but decent numbers - generally consistent. no personal experience with reds there; it is supposed to have a red run, tho.

Its basically a mid-sept thru october thing for silvers, give or take a week. Weather can get crappy.

C. cabin. heavily used A frame. kinda busy - more so than other FS cabins due to daytrippers coming in/out from yakutat and using the cabin's airstrip. There are also some people who camp out there. I camped once, the other time I used the cabin.

There are actually 3 Italio rivers; the one by the cabin is the "middle", the one to the northwest 3 miles or so is called the "old", and the one to the southeast ~2 miles is called the "new". The new italio flows into the akwe near the mouth - that is the only non-brushy area you can fish on that stream. The middle and old italio's have about a mile or so of stream that emerges from the foreland forests thru a sandy area that you can fish. You can try to go upstream but it is brushy and deep in places there as well.
    Last edited by stevesch; 03-05-2008 at 13:35. Reason: spelling

Talking

Havenít fished the Akwe for the last 4 years but made 3 trips there before. Kings in June but not the run there used to be. There is a good red run there but itís in July & August. Now that the river has changes and is no longer glacier fed the water has cleared and sight-fishing reds is better. Has a good silver run in late August through September. Hippy John runs HIC Tours (HIC Tours.com) out of there, he has a couple of squirt boats and can cover allot of water when needed. Day trips are possible but youíll need to do allot of walking.
    Here's an Akwe King from June of 2003:

Yep - good, spot-on advice so far. I'll add that the Italio (new) also has a small run of sockeyes coming 3rd week of June through July. Heavy run of Pinks in late July/August.