Thread: Fajen "plastic"

Default Fajen "plastic"

It is a nice moment now, have my VZ24/Lothar-Walther 23.5"bbl 9.3x62 Mauser in my Fajen stock. The NECG F/O front and adj. rear is a "sight" to behold Ken Corcoran did a very good job in finishing up the rifle in his Parkerizing solution. I do have I consider an amazing amount in the rifle, doing a M98 from charging hump to finish is not cheap.

The Fajen stock is somewhat over sized in the barrel channel and is not by no means a quality stock. The tang area is abit off-center but suspect a cheap mold being the culprit and don't expect it to have any bearing on accuracies. The forestock barrel channel is "webbed" out pretty good. Am wondering since it seems I CANNOT rough up the plastic and it does have places for the Marine-Tex for bedding in the channel area it should hold. I did not expect a great stock from the buy but for a boat gun should suffice. I don't like the amount of gap around the barrel is why I am asking. Will the Marine-Tex hold, afraid the amount needed is going to quite abit, definately will add some foward weight-how much is to be seen if can be a prudent thing.

Another question I have with the set-up is that I do not have the original metal sleeves or pillars that I suspect most Mausers to have or am I incorrect? Should I get some from Midway or will the action be fine without the two. What are they called? Not spacers surely.

2 questions, bedding and them pillar deals. Is the Fajen possible?

Waiting for Ken now to mail me my Redding dies. I still have in mind my big grizz that has eluded me a few times, plenty of small bears but that is not the focal point. Spring is nigh on hand.

Love this new feeling once again

regards,

I mentioned this will be a "boat" gun(don't like that phrase very much) but it won't be equipped with any optics-ever. Money don't grow on no tree I know of so down the road a McMillan or Borden will be the replacement.

If I could learn to post a pic I would be able to further my question-if necessary. Have a Cannon digital and the USB cord. How would I go about doing this?

regards,

I also have one of those fajens on a commercial mauser in 9.3x62. Was a flea bay thing. It will get me by for the spring but I will be looking for a B&C, etc. I have the same gap and to me its not worth the work for a $40 stock.

yep, a "flea bay" thing". For practice in a wide variety of stocks this one would be a curious job. Talked with Mike Starling and he has done 5 Fajens in the last 1/2 yr., one in is vz24 9.3x62, one in a wildcat that was designed by a AR member the .458AR - a .375 RUM trimmed to 2.5" and necked up-after the first couple of shots the rifles recoil trashed his efforts. Took him some time he said but with another smiths help he was able to resolve the issue.

He has them shooting pretty good around 1" moa and after a paint job they look pretty good. I have some modeling clay and will have to get my daughter to run over to Sportsman for me an get Accraglass-should be lighter than Marine-Tex.

At first these stocks look like you can make a home run hit with them but now ..... may work out. They were designed for A&B barrels and sold specifically by Midway from what I gather. No hurry, I have about 5 wks or so and will start hunting with it.

Picked up a Vari-II 2.x7 in 95-98% shape from "flea-bay" for a 170.50 --thought of this project but may put it on one of my sons rifles or my wifes .30-06 she likes to shoot now with optics. She has been out with my Marlin 922M an little 7/8's little Leu. Alaskan scope and liking it shooting low bush rabbits. Most all times she prefers irons, think I got her to reconsider scopes-a good thing.

just rambling

regards,

the final chapter. using a rasp and some sandpaper reshaped the stock at the wrist,sanded down all the molding seams. dam'd with modeling clay and used my dremel with the sanding drum(coarse) in the lug area and to end of chamber of stock and mixed up Marine-Tex. Carnuba car wax is a handy "release" agent and to my joy even on a parked surface.

Now that the rifle is "done" and I have it in my Lead Sled it is really quite a rifle-my initial thoughts was one "pretty cheap" stock. Rifle seems to balance well too.

The saga will continue with the reloading data and testing-soon.

regards,