Thread: Proposal 85-Resident Preference for Sheep-Passed

Default Proposal 85-Resident Preference for Sheep-Passed

This afternoon at the Game Board Meeting, Board member Dick Burley requested that the Board reconsider Proposal #85, the one requesting that Residents of Alaska be allowed to begin hunting sheep on August 8, two days before non-residents, and be allowed to hunt until September 25, 5 days longer than non-residents. This proposal was considered yesterday, and failed to pass.

This time, Mr. Burley requested it be reconsidered, but with several admendments, and after a round of discussion, the proposal passed on a vote of 6-1! Here are the details:

o This is for Region III only
    o It will not take effect until Fall 2009
    o Does not include the Tok Management Area or the Delta Controlled Use Area
    o Resident season will be August 10-Sept 20
    Non-Resident season will be August 12-Sept 20

I have been listening off and on today, guess I missed this. Glad to hear it anyway. Thanks.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

2 days?? lol wow
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    2 days?? lol wow
    Jake,

I think you know how many sheep are killed on the 10th. This is a pretty big deal in my mind.

It will be great if the guides don't scalp the areas. Which is what one Game Board said would happen if this was passed.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

This will be interesting when the resident walks by the guides camp and shoots the sheep he has been camped on for the last week! I like it.

scalp? what does that refer to?
    alot of sheep are shot on the 10th cause everyones hunting on the 10th...now alot of sheep will just be shot on the 12th....this won't change residient success save for maybe a couple sheep for the 10 and 11th.
    You probably won't see many resdients walking by a guides camp to shoot a sheep they are camped under, most camps you couldn't tell where a guides camp up in the high country anyway, just looks like a camp. so if they were walking by a camp to shoot a sheep the camp was after...it could be a resident and not a guide..thats where the funny part comes in.
    I really don't see this making much change,not many more residents are gonna fork out the coin, counting on the extra two days so pressure will remain about the same. you'll just get more non res pressure during the shorter times cause the guide will be pushing more sheep hunters thru during that time frame its not gonna limit the amount of pressure it gets, it will just concentrate the pressure a whole lot more and guides will probably still be out well before the 10th scouting anyway, most don't have anything else to hunt then anyway. Runways will still be full, people will still get mad at the guides and so on.... so basicly the resdients just get a week extra for sheep but its split so you have 2 days alone and 5 days to go pick up the scraps...again...wow.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I was at the last AC meeting here in Fairbanks where the guy who made this proposal got up before the AC board. He we at the meeting with a bunch of other guys who (judging by the other comments they all made) have some personal interest in the wood river area. I suspect these guys like to sheep hunt up there and like the idea of getting a couple days jump on guides in the area. I don't know all of his/their motives but what I have been observing lately is that people have personal reasons for wanting something to be passed but they make proposals in the name of the environment (as in trail damage) or some other reason but those reasons don't appear to be the REAL reason. Just my opinion based on what I've seen. I could be wrong. It's like most who want the 20a cow hunt stopped. It's mostly about personal stuff and not so much about wildlife management. The politics of game management. My observations and my .02.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default non residents

no problem, NR can just have a 2 day camping trip before the season starts: in big bright tents right on the landing strip.

Thumbs down

alas, a great deal of proposals in alaska are personal and/or political in nature.
    it is just the way the system has been allowed to develop.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

The Wood River area is jam packed full of guides, had a good friend of mine go there 2 years ago and said that every drainage was full of guides and hunters. He managed to kill a nice ram but he worked very hard for it. Maybe that's why they had the dates changed. I hunted that area back in '91 and we saw only 1 other hunter and lots of sheep but after hearing my friends report I'm afraid those days are long gone for the Wood River area.