Thread: Anchorage to Seward Flight

Default Anchorage to Seward Flight

Hello,

Looking to make a flight down to Seward around memorial day. Haven't done it yet and curious of any preferred VFR routes and also any history or normal occurances in the weather for the route..

Brandon

Default Depends...

on what you are trying to accomplish.

I suspect the most common are 1) the train route between Placer Creek and Trail Lakes, and 2) Seward Highway. Both are pretty, I think 1 is shorter than 2. Go down one way, back the other. You can also cut some off the hiway route by going over by Hope and up the arm to the Hope cutoff. Or just hop over the mountains, weather permitting.

If you have the gas and time, consider a trip through PWS, then down the Gulf Coast into Resurrection Bay and land at Seward. Very cool, use caution for seabirds, not many emergency landing spots.

Enjoy, very beautiful territory. Watch out for nasty funnelled winds and mountain turbulence.

Chris

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by bgriffel View Post
    Hello,

Looking to make a flight down to Seward around memorial day. Haven't done it yet and curious of any preferred VFR routes and also any history or normal occurances in the weather for the route..

Brandon
    Hi Brandon,

It's probably too late to help you, but here's my preferred route from years ago:

Across Turnagain Arm to Sunrise, then follow the road to Kenai Lake. Cross the lake, pass the upper end of Cooper Lake to Upper Russian Lake, then hang a left through Resurrection Pass, to come out just about on top of Seward.

Watch the transmission line across Kenai Lake. It's marked with the big organge markers, but they're hard to see in all that "big" country!!!

Good luck, and happy holidays in Seward,

Mort Mason
    Grizzly 1