Thread: relocating

Default relocating

hello everyone ,i just discovered the website and its been super helpful and full of really good info.my wife , 3 yr. old son , and i have been thinking of relocating from alma colorado to either seward or valdez.im wondering what the job market is like for carpenters in those areas?also was curious if there is land available near those areas that is remote but still able to access via snowmobile or car in summer.i really appreciate any help or direction with my questions,thanks frank

Default Valdez

There really isn't any land like that around Valdez. There are lots in town but the closest rural land is up toward Glenallen at least 100 miles away. Land in valdez is 40-75k an acre. Way cheaper out the highway.

There are jobs in Valdez but not alot. There is union work at the oil terminal but it can be difficult to get on there. It helps if you are a shareholder in a native corp. AHtNA, TCC, Duncan and Bush and Zastrow are a couple of the companies/contractors here. There isn't really any new home construction and there are a lot of places for sale that have been that way for a while.

There are a couple of projects that will be going on here in the next couple of years that I know of. There is going to be a new senior center built, possibly a hotel and a ski area is in the works.

The number of students in the school here has been plummeting in the last couple of years. If I recall correctly It has dropped over 100 in 3 -4 years. School funding here is tied directly to the number of students.

Check out this weeks valdez star for some idea of what is going here http://www.valdezstar.net

It talks about a couple of the projects that are in the planning stages.

This is from the hotel project news story...

“Frankly, we were banking on the gasline coming here,” said Jim Flint, Roe’s engineer on the project. “If that gets here we’re looking at both buildings.”
    I think a lot of this town is banking on the gasline coming here. Alyeska is the driving factor of the town, but as oil production declines and they "strategically reorganize".... Valdez would be a small fishing town with some tourist activities in the summer and some skiing in the winter. There is only one supermarket, the other one suddenly closed in the fall, and it is pretty expensive. Most of the time it is cheaper to drive to anchorage to load up on groceries. Gas is usually 40-50 cents a gallon cheaper in anchorage than here.

Valdez was moved, rather quickly in 1964. It doesn't really have any character to it. Just my thoughts. You'll probably talk to the next guy who thinks it's the best place in the world to raise kids and loves going to the supermarket to socialize

It has it's upsides to. Prince William Sound is amazing, the skiing is great and there aren't too many areas that have better ice climbing. Drive up the road 100 miles and there is excellent freshwater salmon fishing and dippnetting. When you can see the mountains, the view is amazing.

Come up and check the places that your interested in. I have never lived in Seward so I can't comment. Good Luck

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Chris/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Default Hello Frank

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like Jim gave you a good rundown of Valdez. Seward is a nice little burg. My wife and I have strongly considered a move to Seward so I could get back into teaching or administration. There is a nice professional-technical college there. Perhaps after our son graduates from high school.

Besides the college, the hospital and the prison, there isn't much work though, and no land like you describe. Of course, you can always join the union and take dispatches which will mean travelling around and living out of town.

There are jobs, but the opportunities are few. Like many other small towns, if you really want to and if you are creative, you can make it pay. Come up for a visit. Make sure your wife gets the opportunity to see Seward when it's dark, rainy and blowing. Oh yea, Make sure you buy or build above tsunami level.

thanks for the info,its nice to have a locals take on things.do you know if they ever hire carpenters for work on the north slope?if so is there any websites to companies that do the hiring?i havent had any luck finding any.thanks again