Thread: New to Alaska

Default New to Alaska

Hi all. I Will be coming to Homer from Florida for the summer and plan on doing alot of fishing. I do mostly grouper fishing down here, but would like to get into some halibut fishing while I am there. The question is what am I looking for to find the halibut? sandy bottom, hard bottom, moving water, slack water, depressions, peaks, etc.? I dont expect anyone to tell me where to fish, but I sure would appreciate some info on what to look for.
    I have to try the salmon fishing also, and again, I have no idea what I am looking for. Any advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
    Thanks in advance for all your help. Ed

Default Welcome to the board

WOW!!! Big order. Did you happen to do a search of the forums for answers to your questions? There is an abundance of posts that will cover both topics with a simple search.

Generally speaking, halibut are exactly where you find them. Sometimes in deep water, sometimes in shallow. They like the sandy bottoms but will go to where the food is.

Kachemak Bay is a good place to start. While the fish are generally smaller than if you were to venture way out into Cook Inlet, you can get a feel for fishing for the flatfish.

I would venture to say that most folks use some sort of bait on a circle hook but jigs have produced very well also.

So, jump on that search function and then focus your questions a bit and I am sure you will find exactly what you seek.

Good luck

Sarasota, Florida

Default Multiplication tables...

Take your grouper experiences and multiply them by ten. That is the quotient you will experience when you hook into these brutes.

Your touch in Florida grouper fishing will certainly help. (just like mine did) AK ain't FL. Get ready to blow your mind...

Halibut fishing in Kachemak Bay and Cook Inlet is going to be very dependant on the tides. The tidal swings here are much larger than in Florida, up to 28 feet at times in areas. Halibut fishing is going to be better during times when the tide is not running as hard, near the peak of the flood and the bottom of the ebb. Smaller tides allow for a bigger window of fishing opportunity. In some areas the tide will not stop running at all. Getting your bait or lure to the bottom with a reasonable amount of weight can be difficult if the current is running 2 knots. A lot of the local tide books in this area have little halibut symbols on each day of the month. The big halibut mean smaller tides which means it will be easier and probably more successful fishing. To help deal with the stong current sometimes encoutered I would use the braided lines like power pro or anything similar with a small diameter. These lines cut through the water much better than the old dacron or monofilament, allowing your line to stay under the boat a lot better with less weight. Good Luck!